Panasonic Lumix GH2 Starter Tips Needed!

MidEastGal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I just got the Panasonic Lumix GH2. I am interested in its video capabilities and also would like to take high quality stills. I chose this camera based on reviews I read and videos I seen. Previously I tried a Sony and a Canon. Now I am finding the first days with it very hard. I would appreciate tips from actual long-time users on starting to use this camera in certain settings that worked for you in video and stills. This is personal and differs among people but in the beginning I like to hear from others and then I will see my way through to find what works for me. Particularly I am annoyed from the loud noise and light shake that occurs with taking stills. Am I imagining this? Also what is the Auto mode in video and still? The image I first took with it don't seem to be crisp clear. I know this is a wide range of questions; any tips on your experience with the GH2 are very much appreciated.

Hi MidEastGal - I would start with Travis Wills (mpgxsvcd)'s setup video:

This was recorded before the v1.1 firmware update, but it is still a pretty good walkthrough.

If you want to use the Auto mode for stills, just switch the mode dial to "iA".

For quick video, just press the red button on top of the camera. The recording will only be in 1080/60i, but good enough for home movies.

Best,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I began liking stills from the GH2 the day I began shooting in RAW and doing some post-processing in LightRoom. Also, for some quick color rendition, I use Huelight Lightroom profile (10$, but worth it if you're like me and you don't know much about how to do that). You gain better rendition of red and yellow imho.

For videos, I do mostly Home videos and I shoot in 1080/60i (which is the highest resolution and frame rate you can shoot with). If you need the highest bandwidth, you have to put your camera in movie mode (in the mode dial on top of the camera), and then you can film in "HBR" (High Bit Rate). There's always the possibility of hacking your GH2 to have higher bandwidth (see Google).

What do you mean by loud noise and light shake while taking stills?

Hi MidEastGal - I would start with Travis Wills (mpgxsvcd)'s setup video:

This was recorded before the v1.1 firmware update, but it is still a pretty good walkthrough.

If you want to use the Auto mode for stills, just switch the mode dial to "iA".

For quick video, just press the red button on top of the camera. The recording will only be in 1080/60i, but good enough for home movies.

Best,

Bill

Thanks brunerww, I seen this one and it was good. Are there others that focus on video or still alone setting in more detail with shutter and aperture etc.? What about the firmware. Should I be installing anything at this point.? And does that affect the camera for purposes of coverage and returns...? you don't have to answer this if I am taking much of your time :) I hope others join in so you can have a break from me. I asked so many qs.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should install the latest firmware. It corrects bugs and add new features.

Personally, I began liking stills from the GH2 the day I began shooting in RAW and doing some post-processing in LightRoom. Also, for some quick color rendition, I use Huelight Lightroom profile (10$, but worth it if you're like me and you don't know much about how to do that). You gain better rendition of red and yellow imho.

For videos, I do mostly Home videos and I shoot in 1080/60i (which is the highest resolution and frame rate you can shoot with). If you need the highest bandwidth, you have to put your camera in movie mode (in the mode dial on top of the camera), and then you can film in "HBR" (High Bit Rate). There's always the possibility of hacking your GH2 to have higher bandwidth (see Google).

What do you mean by loud noise and light shake while taking stills?

balinus, thank you for the tips on the still. I might have messed up with the settings the moment I got it. I will try what you suggested. By the shake I mean mechanical movement when inshoot still. It's not as smooth as all the other cameras I used. I don't know the words to describe it exactly. Some photos blur due to this with me.

On the other hand, I am finding some moire in the videos too but with that I assume because I am still viewing on the camera screen. I have to view them on my laptop and see.

I also would appreciate info on firmware. My worry is that I don't want to make changes to the camera that would prevent me from exchanging it within 15 days just in case. You never know. Would thebfirmware do that?

As regarding the hack, I read about this and I think I will delay thinking about it till I master the unhacked. I think makes sense as a beginner. Right?

The firmware won't change anything in terms of exchanging the camera (assuming you bought it in a legit store!).

For the hack, unless you want to make serious filmmaking, it's not worth it imho.

I'm still not sure what you mean about the mechanical movement. :confused: Maybe it's only handheld blur due to slow shutter speed?

Yes, I bought it at a legit local store in Canada. their exchange policy and return is good but nowhere it mentions about the firmware so I wanted to make sure.
Now, where do I get the latest "safe" firmware for gh2? Shall I Google it and see myway through? ANything I should avoid?

:( I don't know how to describe the shake I am experiencing. I feel a real shake in the body and some images blur due to that. Let's say in comparison with the canon still's button or the Sony's I didn't feel that at all?

Yes, I bought it at a legit local store in Canada. their exchange policy and return is good but nowhere it mentions about the firmware so I wanted to make sure.
Now, where do I get the latest "safe" firmware for gh2? Shall I Google it and see myway through? ANything I should avoid?

Here is where you can download the official Panasonic v1.1 firmware upgrade: Update Contents for DMC-GH2

Since this is official Panasonic firmware, it will have no effect on the warranty :)

:( I don't know how to describe the shake I am experiencing. I feel a real shake in the body and some images blur due to that. Let's say in comparison with the canon still's button or the Sony's I didn't feel that at all?

The camera is significantly lighter than a Rebel or an Alpha camera. According to camerasize, it is 174g or 28% lighter than the A57. Could that be part of the reason?

Best,

Bill

...Are there others that focus on video or still alone setting in more detail with shutter and aperture etc.?

I would try Andrew Garcia's Getting Started with the GH2: Part 1 (I will post Part 2 separately, since you can only link to one video per post on TPF):

[video=vimeo;25851314]http://vimeo.com/25851314[/video]

Getting Started with the GH2: Part 2:

[video=vimeo;27381797]http://vimeo.com/27381797[/video]

I hope others join in so you can have a break from me. I asked so many qs.

I just hope I'm being helpful.

Bill

Here is where you can download the official Panasonic v1.1 firmware upgrade: Update Contents for DMC-GH2

Since this is official Panasonic firmware, it will have no effect on the warranty :)

The camera is significantly lighter than a Rebel or an Alpha camera. According to camerasize, it is 174g or 28% lighter than the A57. Could that be part of the reason?

Best,

Bill

Thanks Brunner, I will install the firmware. I just have to check it is not there already, right?

The weight could be the problem or part of it, but I read today too that the 140 lens is mainly for outdoor and that the settings I used could affect the shake, if the shutter speed is too slow for the focal length and aperture. I'll play with it and see if it improves with stills.

Getting Started with the GH2: Part 2:

[video=vimeo;27381797]http://vimeo.com/27381797[/video]

I hope others join in so you can have a break from me. I asked so many qs.

I just hope I'm being helpful.

Bill

These 2 videos are exactly what I wanted!!!! Great intro settings. I know not all will work for me eventually but his approach is open and encourages manual trial style after mastering the very basics. I went through a number of links and videos today after seeing these 2 and that was helpful. I am getting around with the videos but still not liking *my* still performance. I don't want to say the GH2's because I know others can do much better with it. Reading more and shooting...

Of course, you have been great help :) Thanks again.

Brunnerww, call me crazy but I will say this scenario that came to me today and lay it out there!

If I tried the GH2 for a couple of days and I still could not feel so comfortable with its *mainly* still settings, would it be practical or wise or whatever to upgrade to the GH3 and get a cheaper lens with it so I can afford it?

The GH2 I got cost me around 1300 because it came with the 14-140 lens and I bought the lens protection with it and taxes. So total around 1300. It is over my initial budget already if you remember.

The GH3 at my local store can be ordered for 1300 body only. I can then get 14-42 lens from Amazon for 149. And collect my future lenses on the way. For now I want indoors mainly for interviews and few outdoor scenes for mini documentaries.

I mean I have been fascinated with what the guys have done on the GH2 on vimeo professionally, but I still want to make sure I can take good stills and have good stability and no noise when I click. It also has less moire than the GH2 and better stills. Besdies other features I read exist in the GH3 (that I don't need for now but will on the way).

A point to consider opposing my idea here is that I can keep this one and next year maybe buy the GH3 and have GH2 as backup one.

Have you tried the GH3? If I am to start using the Panasonic GH line, would I be missing on a lot if I skipped and started with the last addition?

Don't shoot me :) !! That is only a thought while I am experimenting with the GH2... What ya think?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back