Panasonic Lumix GH3 Experience/Settings Tips

MidEastGal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I just received my new GH3 (body only) from BC branch of a local Canadian store.

I am now in hunt for tips from those who have had the experience with GH3 and its predecessors. What are your lenses and what are they best for? What settings/lenses would you use for indoor interviews with and without support pro lighting? Also, I am buying a new lens to start mainly for videos and indoors but that can still take nice photos. Sigma 19 and 30 mm/f2.8 have been suggested. Any other thoughts? In my area the store mainly has Panasonic lenses like 20mm/f1.7 and 25mm/f.1.4. How are these ones? For those with zoom, which one would be the best and most economic?

I have to add my budget for lens is now around $500. So I cannot afford to buy more than one. Would it be more functional for me to get one that is not fixed zoom so I have a wider range? Even though I mainly need interviews, I'll still want to shoot outside too. Ideas of that price range?

I'd appreciate if you also share your favorite video by you or from others taken by GH3. In other words, let's talk about the GH3 :)

Thank you.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I can't wait to see your images!

You have already heard my opinion on lenses - so I thought I would share one of my favorite new GH3 videos (shot with the 20mm, 8mm fisheye and the 12-35mm - please watch in 720p):

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a nice little Danish documentary (shot with Lumix lenses, but they don't say which ones):

[video=vimeo;58190695]http://vimeo.com/58190695[/video]

And the Behind the Scenes:

[video=vimeo;58190693]http://vimeo.com/58190693[/video]

As I said in the comments section of this video, "it's good to know I'm not the only one who wants to kiss this camera :)"

Last edited:
Most images/videos or people work best when the Depth of Field blurs the background a bit. With M43 this is only achieved by using a very wide aperture, e.g. f/1.8, and reasonable long lens. Thus for your $500 limit, I would suggest the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. It is a very sharp lens and provides a 90mm equivalent focal length. Of course the new 75mm f1.4 may be even better for your application, but it is a lot more expensive. A great general lens for video is the 14-140mm but is above your cost threshold. I really like shooting stills of people with the 100-300mm using the 100mm f/4 capability of the lens. The 200mm equivalent is great for capturing close ups and blurring the background. Hope you have fun with your GH3, it is a wonderful camera. I went into the m43 stuff so I would not have to carry the 40 lbs of Nikon gear around and have never looked back!

Cheers, Stan

Most images/videos or people work best when the Depth of Field blurs the background a bit. With M43 this is only achieved by using a very wide aperture, e.g. f/1.8, and reasonable long lens...

Good advice, Stan. Here is a great little video on this very topic from the terrific Marlene Hielema:

You have already heard my opinion on lenses - so I thought I would share one of my favorite new GH3 videos (shot with the 20mm, 8mm fisheye and the 12-35mm - please watch in 720p):

Brunerww, thank you so much! These are amazing videos. I loved that chair maker one :)

Most images/videos or people work best when the Depth of Field blurs the background a bit. With M43 this is only achieved by using a very wide aperture, e.g. f/1.8, and reasonable long lens. Thus for your $500 limit, I would suggest the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. It is a very sharp lens and provides a 90mm equivalent focal length. Of course the new 75mm f1.4 may be even better for your application, but it is a lot more expensive. A great general lens for video is the 14-140mm but is above your cost threshold. I really like shooting stills of people with the 100-300mm using the 100mm f/4 capability of the lens. The 200mm equivalent is great for capturing close ups and blurring the background. Hope you have fun with your GH3, it is a wonderful camera. I went into the m43 stuff so I would not have to carry the 40 lbs of Nikon gear around and have never looked back!

Cheers, Stan

Trekkie, Thank you for your informative reply and welcoming me to the M43 world :)

The Olympus 45/f.1.8 looks good and I also seen it at a store here the price was 400. The only thing is that I feel no longer comfortable to start with a fixed focal zoom lens. Maybe later I will buy a couple but now after trying some in the store, I want some versatility.

The 14-140 is priced at 619 on Amazon. My local store doesn’t sell it separately. This is above my budget but if I am sure it will work for all my purposes I don’t mind the extra 119. Would it be good for videos with the f.4-5.8?

As to the 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6, it is for 500 on Amazon but at my store 700! That one is not bad if I get from Amazon. But I am weary of the short zoom as it starts at 100. I rather start with a lower range. How about the 14-45/f.3.5-5.6? It is for 350 at store.

Brunerww, thank you so much! These are amazing videos. I loved that chair maker one :)

Thanks Brunerww, very useful video. So is the f.4 too much of a difference in this case taking in consideration my reply above to Trekkie? Like how would the 14-140/4-5.8? What is a lens that would give me the best of both worlds: some versatility and zoom and wide aperture?

OK, every time I see a new post on this thread I think you have GH3 footage...but no! Get your lens and feed us something already! :)

OK, every time I see a new post on this thread I think you have GH3 footage...but no! Get your lens and feed us something already! :)

Ok, so this one isn't mine - but I thought it would be useful to the community. It is a side-by-side of the RED Scarlet, Canon 5D Mark III, Panasonic GH3 and hacked Panasonic GH2. Judge for yourselves, but in my view, the GH3 "runs with the big dogs" in resolution, sensitivity and color balance (please watch at 1080p):

:lol: That's funny... Ok, you have a point. I am not sure you mean Brunerww or myself but to be fair, we just got the cameras and this thread is relatively new. I am still lens-less. I got so busy and I wasn't doing more research which lens I can afford and suit my needs.

Ok, so this one isn't mine - but I thought it would be useful to the community. It is a side-by-side of the RED Scarlet, Canon 5D Mark III, Panasonic GH3 and hacked Panasonic GH2. Judge for yourselves, but in my view, the GH3 "runs with the big dogs" in resolution, sensitivity and color balance (please watch at 1080p):

Brunerww, thanks for sharing. Yes it looks GH3 is among the best and *without* hacking. The hacked GH2 looks great too. But unfortunately, I couldn't watch it in 1080p. What is the best media player for that purpose? When I take HD 1080p video and watch it on my laptop it lags and freezes! I just tried downloading the VLC and watched my video and it still lagged a bit and audio was not exactly in line with video.

Guys, I need to get back to researching my lenses and deciding in these 2 days maximum. I can't wait more :( I know that I don't want fixed zoom. here are some options so far:

Does anyone have an experience or recommendation on the Olympus 12-50mm/f.3.5-6.3? $500 at store.

Or, the Pan 14-45/f.3.5-5.6 at $350 at store.

Or, the Pan 14-140/f.4-5.8 for $619 on Amazon.

Or, the Pan 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6 for $500 on Amazon/$700 at store.

Kindly vote and comment
:er:

Brunerww, thanks for sharing. Yes it looks GH3 is among the best and *without* hacking. The hacked GH2 looks great too. But unfortunately, I couldn't watch it in 1080p. What is the best media player for that purpose? When I take HD 1080p video and watch it on my laptop it lags and freezes! I just tried downloading the VLC and watched my video and it still lagged a bit and audio was not exactly in line with video.

It depends on your CPU and video card. What do you have in your laptop?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back