Panasonic Lumix GH3 Experience/Settings Tips

Brunerww, thanks for sharing. Yes it looks GH3 is among the best and *without* hacking. The hacked GH2 looks great too. But unfortunately, I couldn't watch it in 1080p. What is the best media player for that purpose? When I take HD 1080p video and watch it on my laptop it lags and freezes! I just tried downloading the VLC and watched my video and it still lagged a bit and audio was not exactly in line with video.

It depends on your CPU and video card. What do you have in your laptop?

Balinus, thanks. Here are the specs of my laptop:

Windows 7 Home Premium
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Installed memory (RAM): 4 GB (3.75 GB usable)
Processor: AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core M320 2,10 GHz
Video card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

You know, while we are at it, my laptop's fan is also so loud. I have been using it for 2 years and seems like 10. I know I need a new one very soon, but would be nice to push this one a bit more. :)

I found these 2 buys:

- Pan 14-45mm/f.3.5-5.6 for 185 plus 38 shipping Amazon = used from a trusted excellent reviews seller.
- Pan 14-140/f.4-5.8 with carrying bag, and Hoya UV (C) filter for about 500 including shipping - used "great" condition.

Brunerww, thanks for sharing. Yes it looks GH3 is among the best and *without* hacking. The hacked GH2 looks great too. But unfortunately, I couldn't watch it in 1080p. What is the best media player for that purpose? When I take HD 1080p video and watch it on my laptop it lags and freezes! I just tried downloading the VLC and watched my video and it still lagged a bit and audio was not exactly in line with video.

Windows 7 Home Premium

You know, while we are at it, my laptop's fan is also so loud. I have been using it for 2 years and seems like 10. I know I need a new one very soon, but would be nice to push this one a bit more. :)

Well, you'll need the right video driver for your ATI card and enable video acceleration in VLC options. You CPU alone won't be able to play 1080p (not 100% sure though, but almost).

Windows 7 Home Premium

Well, you'll need the right video driver for your ATI card and enable video acceleration in VLC options. You CPU alone won't be able to play 1080p (not 100% sure though, but almost).

Balinus, Thank you in all cases for pointing all this out. I think I will post my question in Windows forum to be fair. This is photo forum ;) I am all over the map lol

Hey brunerww, how is the gh3 trials going? For me, I got so busy at work and also indulged in boring research on lenses, and still didn't buy any. I am determined though to do so in coming 2 days maximum. Too much delay!!!!!! :er:

I might get the 14-45 and a prime.

Got a question, what difference does it make the circumference of a lens? 58mm, 62mm, 72mm, etc... I kind of "maybe naively" thought bigger better?! Any truth?

The 14-45 is a nice lens but not suitable for low light conditions. To pair up with the 14-45 I suggest the Sigma 19/2.8 @ $150 to stay within your budget.

Here is a sample shot with this lens: Click on images.

$PC120341.jpg

This is a crop from the above pic.

$crop-120341.jpg

Adorama are selling it @ $150 or paired with the 30/2.8 for $200. This is extremely good value.

Hi MidEastGal - I agree with Ron - that 2 lenses for $199 deal at Adorama is very good value for the money.

I certainly understand being busy at work and not having time for cameras! I have taken the GH3 out a few times, though, and been very pleased with it. It really is lightning fast with the 14-140 on it. I raised the camera to my eye just as this bird was taking off, and this is what I got:

$P1020096-003.JPG

To answer your question about lens diameter - it is only one factor in lens performance. There are terrible lenses with large diameters and wonderful lenses with small diameters. One of my best lenses ever for the GH2 was a skinny little Voigtlander.

I have had time for one project with the GH3 - a little video I did demonstrating the difference in audio quality between pro and consumer mics (this was an audio test, not a camera test, so please forgive the overexposure and focus challenges :)

[video=vimeo;58876352]http://vimeo.com/58876352[/video]​

I have a few other projects in the pipeline and will post when I am able.

Best,

Bill

Last edited:
The 14-45 is a nice lens but not suitable for low light conditions. To pair up with the 14-45 I suggest the Sigma 19/2.8 @ $150 to stay within your budget.

Here is a sample shot with this lens: Click on images.

View attachment 36640

This is a crop from the above pic.

View attachment 36641

Adorama are selling it @ $150 or paired with the 30/2.8 for $200. This is extremely good value.

Ron, thank you for the advice and sharing the photos. So the 14-45 is not the best in low light. Is it that considerable of a difference between the 14-45 and the 14-140 in low light. In other words, even though my main purpose is indoors interviews, I want a zoom also for outdoors. If I got 14-45 I still need light equipment and maybe to use the primes for indoors anyways. This question comes to mind: Why not get the 14-140 to have a bigger zoom and newer lens? Is there an answer other than price-wise?

Hi MidEastGal - I agree with Ron - that 2 lenses for $199 deal at Adorama is very good value for the money.

I certainly understand being busy at work and not having time for cameras! I have taken the GH3 out a few times, though, and been very pleased with it. It really is lightning fast with the 14-140 on it. I raised the camera to my eye just as this bird was taking off, and this is what I got:

View attachment 36645

To answer your question about lens diameter - it is only one factor in lens performance. There are terrible lenses with large diameters and wonderful lenses with small diameters. One of my best lenses ever for the GH2 was a skinny little Voigtlander.

I have had time for one project with the GH3 - a little video I did demonstrating the difference in audio quality between pro and consumer mics (this was an audio test, not a camera test, so please forgive the overexposure and focus challenges :)

[video=vimeo;58876352]http://vimeo.com/58876352[/video]​

I have a few other projects in the pipeline and will post when I am able.

Best,

Bill

Brunerww, thank for sharing your trials! Exciting. I am always looking forward for tests of the GH3. Soon I'll be shopping for audio as well. That test was really illustrative. I love that bird photo; amazing shot for a quick move!

I know you recommended the sigma lenses. I received advice though to better go with native lens from panasonic. I read counter advice too bla bla... but the real question now, for me is the speed part. Is the f.2.8 enough to compensate for me if I paired this prime with a slower aperture like the 14-45 or the 14-140? Instead of teh 2 sigmas, should I consider a faster prime? If yes, which ones: 20mm/f1.7? 25mm...etc? I am on budget, yes, but I want to avoid buying things I will need to change soon (because I am on budget). P.s: even someone suggested the canon 50mm/f.1.8 or 1.4 for good price but I prefer to not use adopter as I know nothing about them) and to preserve the OIS.

Ron, thank you for the advice and sharing the photos. So the 14-45 is not the best in low light. Is it that considerable of a difference between the 14-45 and the 14-140 in low light. In other words, even though my main purpose is indoors interviews, I want a zoom also for outdoors. If I got 14-45 I still need light equipment and maybe to use the primes for indoors anyways. This question comes to mind: Why not get the 14-140 to have a bigger zoom and newer lens? Is there an answer other than price-wise?

The 14-140 gives you more zoom but is no better in low light. The maximum aperture is the determining factor as to how well a lens adapts to low light, i.e. the smallest f#. Here is an example of lenses better in low light from worst to better: f4.0, f3.5, f2.8, f1.8, f1.4. Zooms are typically "slow" lenses & for low light a prime with f2.8 or less is desirable.

I would not be concerned about not having some form of image stabilization on focal lengths under 45mm, all you need is a reasonably steady hand.

The 14-140 gives you more zoom but is no better in low light. The maximum aperture is the determining factor as to how well a lens adapts to low light, i.e. the smallest f#. Here is an example of lenses better in low light from worst to better: f4.0, f3.5, f2.8, f1.8, f1.4. Zooms are typically "slow" lenses & for low light a prime with f2.8 or less is desirable.

I would not be concerned about not having some form of image stabilization on focal lengths under 45mm, all you need is a reasonably steady hand.

Ron, thanks. What do u think of the Olympus 12-60? I like the range and extra 2mm. Also aperture 2.8-4! And I am liking the Canon 50mm prime (?)... Any thoughts as in comparison to the sigma prime? I tried to find a cheap pancake 20mm but cheapest is 400 with shipping.

Edit: here are canons 50mm on eBay:
F1.8:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canon-FD-50m...ses&hash=item589bbd0d4a&_uhb=1#ht_4365wt_1018
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canon-50mm-f...ses&hash=item588d4b8666&_uhb=1#ht_8186wt_1339
And f.1.4:
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=...=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udhi=200
(?)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have no experience with the Olympus 12-60 but here are the conclusions Of DP review:
Conclusion - Pros

• Very useful wideangle to telephoto range
  • Superb optics
  • Excellent build quality, dust and splash-proof
  • Impressive resistance to flare
  • Decent macro performance
Conclusion - Cons

• Pronounced and complex distortion at wideangle
  • Slightly sub-par lens hood
  • Shadowing of built-in flash at wideangle on smaller bodies
  • Expensive

The full review is here:

Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 review: Digital Photography Review

With adapted lenses you must be prepared to shoot in aperture priority, set the aperture on the lens & manually focus the lens. I use many adapted lenses but I learned on them with a SLR 50 years ago.

Check out this link for a 20mm pancake.

panasonic 20mm f/1.7 | eBay

I have no experience with the Olympus 12-60 but here are the conclusions Of DP review:
Conclusion - Pros

• Very useful wideangle to telephoto range
  • Superb optics
  • Excellent build quality, dust and splash-proof
  • Impressive resistance to flare
  • Decent macro performance
Conclusion - Cons

• Pronounced and complex distortion at wideangle
  • Slightly sub-par lens hood
  • Shadowing of built-in flash at wideangle on smaller bodies
  • Expensive

The full review is here:

Olympus Zuiko Digital 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 review: Digital Photography Review

With adapted lenses you must be prepared to shoot in aperture priority, set the aperture on the lens & manually focus the lens. I use many adapted lenses but I learned on them with a SLR 50 years ago.

Check out this link for a 20mm pancake.

panasonic 20mm f/1.7 | eBay

Ron, thanks seems I was on Canada eBay prices seem higher there. These prices in ur link r reasonsonable. I'd choice between a 100$ canon 50mm and this reasonably priced panny what'd be best? Putting price aside. Question for anyone who has experience or knowledge of both :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back