Panasonic Lumix GH3 Experience/Settings Tips

Hi MidEastGal - One additional detail on the Olympus 12-60 - you have to buy a $200CDN 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter to mount it on your GH3. I have two adapted 4/3 lenses, and I love them, but you should be forewarned that they are slow to focus on micro 4/3 cameras (and they have noisy autofocus motors).

On the 20mm f1.7 - in Canada, you're right - if you shop on eBay US, once you pay the shipping and the duties, it's a challenge to find one for less than $400CDN.

Here is one in Ontario for $376CDN (shipping included) on eBay Canada.

On buying a Canon lens with an adapter - if you mean a modern Canon EF or EF-S lens for EOS cameras - I strongly recommend against this. Modern Canon lenses have no manual aperture control, so you will be stuck shooting with a wide open aperture.

On the other hand, if you mean a classic Canon FD 50mm prime with an adapter, it will work - but, as Ron says, you will have to set the aperture and focus manually. Something else you may want to consider is that 50mm is a pretty long lens on a micro 4/3 camera. I took my GH3 and the Canon FD 50mm f1.8 to a hockey game the other night and couldn't get good pictures of my family sitting next to me because the focal length was too long.

I still recommend one or both of the Sigmas for full automatic aperture and autofocus. I'm pretty sure the deal at Adorama is over, because the only 2 for $199 deal I could find was for the NEX mount version (I gave you the wrong link earlier).

So the best I've been able to find for a new 19mm Sigma is about $158CDN (shipping included) from 47th St Photo in NY via eBay Canada. The best I could find for a new 30mm is still at Adorama for $149US, plus shipping and duties.

I would rather have two of these lenses for ~$300CDN than the 20mm f1.7 (as wonderful as it is) for ~$400CDN.

Again, best of luck,

Bill

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ron, thanks seems I was on Canada eBay prices seem higher there. These prices in ur link r reasonsonable. I'd choice between a 100$ canon 50mm and this reasonably priced panny what'd be best? Putting price aside. Question for anyone who has experience or knowledge of both :)

I think I answered this in my earlier post - but I want to make sure - I own an inexpensive Canon FD 50mm f1.8 and it is a great lens - but manual lenses are a pain. I have been shooting manual SLRs since 1974 and there is a reason than autofocus and autoiris were invented :)

It is also a little long for micro 4/3. 50mm is a nice general purpose lens on a 35mm SLR - it's a portrait lens or even a short telephoto on a 2X crop sensor camera like the GH3.

Here is a picture of the GH3 with an old Canon FD 50mm f1.8 lens (lots of them on eBay Canada) and an inexpensive FD to micro 4/3 adapter (picture taken with the GH2 and built-in flash, Olympus 11-22 f2.8-3.5 lens with Extended Tele Converter (ETC) on):

$P1120043.JPG
Here is a picture of the GH2 in the same lighting conditions with the Oly 11-22 lens and a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter (picture taken with the GH3, no flash, Canon FD 50mm f1.8 lens with no ETC):

$P1020301.JPG

A lot better in low light. And note the shallow depth of field compared to the shot with the Olympus. It is great to have an f1.8 lens for less than $100, but you have to know what you're getting into.

And again, I strongly recommend against a Canon EOS EF or EF-S lens. You will have no aperture control (not even manual) with an EOS lens.

Best,

Bill

Last edited:
Ron, thanks seems I was on Canada eBay prices seem higher there. These prices in ur link r reasonsonable. I'd choice between a 100$ canon 50mm and this reasonably priced panny what'd be best? Putting price aside. Question for anyone who has experience or knowledge of both :)

I think I answered this in my earlier post - but I want to make sure - I own an inexpensive Canon FD 50mm f1.8 and it is a great lens - but manual lenses are a pain. I have been shooting manual SLRs since 1974 and there is a reason than autofocus and autoiris were invented :)

It is also a little long for micro 4/3. 50mm is a nice general purpose lens on a 35mm SLR - it's a portrait lens or even a short telephoto on a 2X crop sensor camera like the GH3.

Here is a picture of the GH3 with an old Canon FD 50mm f1.8 lens (lots of them on eBay Canada) and an inexpensive FD to micro 4/3 adapter (picture taken with the GH2 and built-in flash, Olympus 11-22 f2.8-3.5 lens with Extended Tele Converter (ETC) on):

View attachment 36751
Here is a picture of the GH2 in the same lighting conditions with the Oly 11-22 lens and a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter (picture taken with the GH3, no flash, Canon FD 50mm f1.8 lens with no ETC):

View attachment 36754

A lot better in low light. And note the shallow depth of field compared to the shot with the Olympus. It is great to have an f1.8 lens for less than $100, but you have to know what you're getting into.

And again, I strongly recommend against a Canon EOS EF or EF-S lens. You will have no aperture control (not even manual) with an EOS lens.

Best,

Bill

Brunerww, as usual your informative replies are much appreciated, especially the photos illustrations! Although I love the 50mm photo quality, I don't think I am ready to deal with manual aperture and the long barrel (at least not now; maybe later if I see a good deal in a garage sale I'll get a legacy one ;)

And yes, seems I missed the sale on the 2 sigma lenses. I usually believe in "things happen for a reason" thing, but in this case I cannot find the reason yet :er:... Is there any other lens I am missing as a prime in economic price? (I will still give the sigma).

So, what about the zoom lens? I am still lost and feel like m43 is much harder to find economic good indoor video lenses. 14-45?

P.s.: Found this 2 sigmas for under 300 with shipping; not sure is there hidden fees to Canadian buyers (never bought from US on ebay)? : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Sigma-19...nses&hash=item3ccf17350e&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1203
P.p.s.: I liked this one in the canon, 18-135/f.3.5-5.6, what is closest to this? especially at the wider range.
P.p.p.s.: I could not find ones for rental to try them out for a day. Vistek here rents but no m43 lenses I want in this branch. Wish I can try the 14-140 again and the 14-45.

Last edited:
Bill "So the best I've been able to find for a new 19mm Sigma is about $158CDN (shipping included) from 47th St Photo in NY via eBay Canada. The best I could find for a new 30mm is still at Adorama for $149US, plus shipping and duties."

If you have the lens sent by US postal service, not by a courier, the chances are slim that you will get nailed for any more than the shipping cost. I always demand shipping by USPS from the states & only ever got nailed once for duties/HST in over 40 transactions. However, some sellers (B&H) will only ship by courier so be careful.

Bill "So the best I've been able to find for a new 19mm Sigma is about $158CDN (shipping included) from 47th St Photo in NY via eBay Canada. The best I could find for a new 30mm is still at Adorama for $149US, plus shipping and duties."

If you have the lens sent by US postal service, not by a courier, the chances are slim that you will get nailed for any more than the shipping cost. I always demand shipping by USPS from the states & only ever got nailed once for duties/HST in over 40 transactions. However, some sellers (B&H) will only ship by courier so be careful.

Ron, this is a very good advice! Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back