Panning shot of a car - C&C

Luke623

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was working by the highway today so I decided to try some panning action shots. I've never done it before so I only knew how to do it in theory, but it transfered over easily enough.
This was my third and last panning shot of the day.
2673001164_4d168760c4_o.jpg

Exposure: 0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture: f/22
Focal Length: 38 mm
ISO Speed: 200

I seem to have accidently posted this in the wrong section :/

Last edited:
NICE! I myself have yet to try panning as I just got my camera last week, but if they come anywhere near to how yours looks then I'd be one happy camper.

Thanks speed! I just got my camera last week as well, it's so much fun :)

That looks awesome - no wonder people get excited about panning shots!! I wasn't even sure how good they could get. I was staring at this shot of the Avenger (or is it a Charger?) asking myself "how did he get the car?!" then I saw the background was what's moving. I haven't tried panning shots yet (not on purpose at least) but now I really look forward to it. Not sure how I'll do with my kit lens but I can try at least. What camera/lens are you using?

Thanks!
I think it's a the Charger, but I'm no expert.
That picture was taken with the D40 and kit lens actually, so you're fine there. Good luck!

And thanks to whoever moved this!

Very cool picture! im guessing for this you would use a slightly long shutter speed and then try to move the camera fallowing the movement of the car? that sounds kinda hard to do.

Thanks Pulse.
You nailed it. I didn't find it that difficult, but my hand eye coordination has always been good.

Very cool picture! im guessing for this you would use a slightly long shutter speed and then try to move the camera fallowing the movement of the car? that sounds kinda hard to do.

Na, its called panning, I do it often at the race track(horses), but I like to freeze action instead of blur the background and feet, i like them nice n sharp!

With faster moving objects (Car vs. Human, etc...) you can actually use a higher shutter speed and stop the subject a little more to get a crisper shot without compromising the feeling of movement. I shot the below at 1/100 but probably could have even went as high as 1/250. He was going between 70-90mph.

My Exif:
Exposure:0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture:f/13
Focal Length:153 mm
ISO Speed:250

I like the picture... with the amount of background blur it gives you an even greater sense of speed in the pic. I plan on doing these types of shots at some of my upcoming auto cross events!

Another tip I've heard is you gauge the speed of the subject and put the camera on auto fire & follow it; and out of the shots a few should be great

My panning shots don't go much slower than 1/250 - much slower than that and I risk shooting a bunch of clunkers or ones where only part of the car is in focus.

My panning shots don't go much slower than 1/250 - much slower than that and I risk shooting a bunch of clunkers or ones where only part of the car is in focus.

interesting...my panning shots are hardly ever faster than 1/100. I guess we're shooting different things.

332685184_gph36-L.jpg

Most reactions

Back