Panorama defined?

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there an actual technical definition for panorama or is it generally just any wide angle view image? That is, is it supposed to adhere to a certain size ratio like 1:3 (5x15, 10x30, etc) or a certain # of pics stitched together etc? I was thinking of joining a photo club where each month they have a photo theme challenge and this month is panoramas. I wasn't sure if there was a technical specification involved to call it a panorama or not.

As far as I know technically, it's 2 or more images stitched together. I don't believe there is a mandated aspect ratio. I usually try to keep them as tall as I can.

From Wikipedia.org "Panoramic Photography":

An image showing a field of view approximating, or greater than, that of the human eye – about 160° by 75° – may be termed panoramic. This generally means it has an aspect ratio of 2:1 or larger, the image being at least twice as wide as its height. The resulting images take the form of a wide strip. Some panoramic images have aspect ratios of 4:1 and sometimes 10:1, covering fields of view of up to 360 degrees. Both the aspect ratio and coverage of field are important factors in defining a true panoramic image.

At least twice as wide as high is the common definition. Does that mean "vertical pano" is an oxymoron? :) It can be stitched or cropped. Some cameras (Widelux, Fuji 6x17, 4x10 banquet cameras, etc...) shoot panoramic format. Remember the pano option all the 35mm cameras got in the late 80's? That was just cropped from a 35mm neg.

yes, i do remember the pano 35mm camera, in fact i had at one time a rolli pregro that would allow one to switch to pano mode and of course it just meant the photo was placed in the center of the frame. I also had a plastic (can't remember the name) camera that only took panos, but again it was just cropping in camera; however, they were great fun and did foster viewing one's world a bit differently.
Not everything would work well with that format.

I do panos from time to time with a digital camera which certainly reduces the need to carry around a huge camera with film holders.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back