Panorama defined?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Johnboy2978, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Is there an actual technical definition for panorama or is it generally just any wide angle view image? That is, is it supposed to adhere to a certain size ratio like 1:3 (5x15, 10x30, etc) or a certain # of pics stitched together etc? I was thinking of joining a photo club where each month they have a photo theme challenge and this month is panoramas. I wasn't sure if there was a technical specification involved to call it a panorama or not.

2. Stamp

Stamp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As far as I know technically, it's 2 or more images stitched together. I don't believe there is a mandated aspect ratio. I usually try to keep them as tall as I can.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    From Wikipedia.org "Panoramic Photography":

4. Hamtastic

Hamtastic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At least twice as wide as high is the common definition. Does that mean "vertical pano" is an oxymoron? :) It can be stitched or cropped. Some cameras (Widelux, Fuji 6x17, 4x10 banquet cameras, etc...) shoot panoramic format. Remember the pano option all the 35mm cameras got in the late 80's? That was just cropped from a 35mm neg.

5. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes, i do remember the pano 35mm camera, in fact i had at one time a rolli pregro that would allow one to switch to pano mode and of course it just meant the photo was placed in the center of the frame. I also had a plastic (can't remember the name) camera that only took panos, but again it was just cropping in camera; however, they were great fun and did foster viewing one's world a bit differently.
    Not everything would work well with that format.

I do panos from time to time with a digital camera which certainly reduces the need to carry around a huge camera with film holders.