Panorama from the top of Julian, CA

xzyragon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Up at around 5000 feet, overlooking the Salton Sea and surrounding mountains. After my last panorama attempt, I tried combining more pictures, which made less noise, but somehow was resized to a smaller image. I think this was from all the stretching and warping I had to do to somewhat straighten out the horizon. This was also roughly 30 pictures taken at 22mm (on my 7D) combined together.

View over the desert and Salton Sea by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

C&C is always appreciated! I'm headed up to Sedona in a week, and I'll be trying out many more pano's there, so everything helps!

I like the pano. IMO I would have liked to see some lightening done at the base of the mountains on the right to bring some more depth into the picture, the middle part of the photo somewhat fades to my eyes. We are thinking of going to Salton Sea this weekend, any suggestions or ideas on exactly where to go since it is so large?

I like the pano. IMO I would have liked to see some lightening done at the base of the mountains on the right to bring some more depth into the picture, the middle part of the photo somewhat fades to my eyes. We are thinking of going to Salton Sea this weekend, any suggestions or ideas on exactly where to go since it is so large?

I kind of liked the contrast between the brighter foreground and the darker mountain. My biggest issue was compression. I couldn't get to the edge of the mountain without trailblazing, so the mountains were extremely compressed.

As far as the Salton Sea, i've never been there, but I've heard good things about Slab City, which should be near there. Awesome place if you're into abandoned buildings and graffiti. Otherwise, I can definitely recommend driving through Julian, Anza Borrego, or Idyllwild to get there.

I just checked out this photo on your Flickr page and it definitely shows better on Flickr so I have to amend my comment on lighting. I think it must be old age, my eyes just aren't what they used to be lol.... Thanks for the heads up on Salton Sea area, we have a friend who has gone there and just recently he received a listing of all the birds spotted just several days ago at Salton - over 10,000 birds of different types...Pretty amazing list.

I just checked out this photo on your Flickr page and it definitely shows better on Flickr so I have to amend my comment on lighting. I think it must be old age, my eyes just aren't what they used to be lol.... Thanks for the heads up on Salton Sea area, we have a friend who has gone there and just recently he received a listing of all the birds spotted just several days ago at Salton - over 10,000 birds of different types...Pretty amazing list.

I did not know that! That's pretty impressive. I haven't gotten to get out and shoot a lot of birds and wildlife, but I'm sure it's a blast.

And What I've seen with panoramas is that they look better the bigger they are. This would make like a 10 foot print. Before I start printing anything I want to get a lot of practice in though. I'm still having trouble getting the horizon straight with all the warping.

I agree on the sizing of panoramas, they are meant to be big :) I haven't worked much with panoramas as I am too dang busy with the wildlife. I have noticed that it takes a real knack to get the horizons straight not to mention tons of practice lol....good luck :)

Most reactions

Back