Panoramic Composite

GregF422

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gfspeed.com
I put this together tonight from pictures i took a while back. I had the intention of doing this MUCH sooner but never did. Anywho, just curious which one people like better. My friend likes the one where you can see the seams better than the color/density corrected one.

BTW, don't mind the horrible spherical distortion. The camera is a Nikon Coolpix 2500 zoomed all the way out (~37mm)

FloridaBalconyPanoramic_1.jpg

Uncorrected

FloridaBalconyPanoramic_2.jpg

Color and density corrected

-Greg

thats sweet, i just got photoshop CS where u can stitch pics together seemlessly

Thanks!
I suppose if i did this sortta thing more often i'd look into that software a little more, but this was really more of a one-time expiriment than anything else.

BTW, on my computer the resolution of this is HUGE (~6000x1000). So it's fairly detailed, but i didn't think anyone - my website's montly bandwidth included - would appreciate having to download two pictures at about 4MB each, lol.

So what program did you use? Its a cool idea...but the seams make it look really unfinished and thrown together. . Did ya overlap and reduce the opacity to blend? If your intentions were to keep it "seamed", you've done it. I'll shut up. Take no offense please

Edit
BTW you can do pano's in ps 7 as well. And I'm sure all the way down to elements. Havent used them though.

I see it was more of an excercise than anything. Lets see another sometime...

Realy awesome concept. I think it owuld look better if you could have more of a gradual change which could be achieved in photoshop or a simular program. I think I like #1 better but they seem so close to me that its hard to make a fair call
-Zac

I did use Photoshop for it, but i'm not very experience with it at all. I'm always finding out more and more just how powerful a program it really is. I'm also learning photo editing techniques all the time.

This was more or less just kinda thrown together, using layers and opacity adjustment to align it as best i could (spherical distortion makes it kinda tough though) and then i fiddled with the color ballance and levels to get it a little more closely matched for the 2nd shot.

BTW, i'd love to learn how PS lets you do panoramics (i'm using PS 7).

ohhh Idunno if that was intentional... those borders between shots... if not - use the panorama factory - great program that will do a perfect composition for you...

I'm not sure if you can with the coolpix, but if possible force the shutter to a perticular setting which will keep the colour in balance when you pan around.

Secondly a proper tool like Pano Tools Assembler will adjust for the spherical distortion and blend the images together. If done properly it takes an hour or so to set it up but then the automated process makes an almost perfect looking picture.

If my memory serves me I think this is one of the things a PC Nikkor can do very well without any movement of the camera body. With the advent of digital cameras and software like Photoshop, this type of photography has become much easier.

Hey Greg,

I'll send ya some instructions on it if you would like. Otherwise the book by Scott Kelby, "The photoshop Book for Digital Photographers" has the full explanation with illustration. Its a pretty good "basics" book, and goes beyond for some more technical post-processing.

Let me know if you would like me to send ya the info, step-by-step, if you dont want to buy the book...

See ya. -JAred

A good first attempt...it's pretty good. The problem is that the exposure is not the same in every frame. You really have to set the camera on manual exposure so that all the frames are the same.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back