panoramic images color correction

deveel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I've shot a few panoramas recently and not always had the chance to lock the exposure (quite wide variety in brightness over the pano area). So, what is the best way to change the single images colors so that the difference at the seams is not THAT noticeable? Stitching works fine if the objects in the images are considered, but there are really noticeable brightness changes between two images. Any hints? Thanks.

When this happens to me. I use photoshop instead of a stitching program.

I put each section of the panorama on a different layer. The I adjust the perspective and rotate any of them slightly if need be. Then I use adjustment layers on each of the layers to get them all looking the same/similar. This could involve changing the levels, or adding photo filters I find is an easy way of fixing them. The list goes on.

Then to blend all of the layers together correctly. I use masks on each of the layers to hide sections of each layer and to blend them together. Also a little bit of clone tool if it still doesn't look right.

The best hint I can give from experience is to take plenty of photos for the panorama.... oh and of course exposure lock. hehehe ;-)

I don't use panorama programs either. I use photoshop, and if there are differences in color or density, I eyeball them and fix each layer independantly.

Save it as a psd or a tiff with layers, so you can always go back and edit each part.

Thanks for the tips Meysha and Matt. What I'm having trouble with when doing it "by hand" in PS is the deformation but that's a different story. Therefore, I'm using some stitching program but I want to prepare the images beforehand. What is the most common way (or the best way) to change the colors? Levels? brightness/contrast ... is there somethig like a general rule what one can follow?

There's so many ways to change colors, and I think which technique you use depends upon what you are comfortable with, and what will give the best results. Anything you do, I would suggest doing with an adjustment layer so you can fine tune it as you go along. I use color balance and selective color when I balance photos. I prefer to use levels and curves just for density and contrast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back