Panoramic question

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Softwares like photoshop made panoramic easy. So when did it start? I mean, did panoramic technique exist before the time of photoshop? Could this have been done in the dark room?

...So when did it start? I mean, did panoramic technique exist before the time of photoshop? ...

It started only a few decades after the development of photography, Over the years darkroom techniques have been useed to "stitch" multiple images and special cameras have been developed.

The special cameras have generally taken two forms. There were/are simple wide aspect ratio cameras that shot/shoot a single wide shot. The current 6x17 medium format cameras and the old "banquet" cameras fall into this group.

The other group of panoramic cameras use a swinging lens arrangement. These fall into two sub-goups. The first are those that hold the film in a fixed arc and just the lens and shutter slit move. These include the Widelux models from the '60-'70s, the Kodak Panoram from the first quarty of the 20th century, and various similar camera. The second sub-group are models where the whole camera turns while the camera's film transport moves film past the camera's narrow film gate in such a way that it, in effect, remains stationary. These include the classic Kodak Cirkut models (http://www.cirkut.com/cameras/cirkut.html). Some cameras in this group could achieve a full 360 degree shot.

Softwares like photoshop made panoramic easy. So when did it start? I mean, did panoramic technique exist before the time of photoshop? Could this have been done in the dark room?
Absolutely!

Photoshop is mostly just 75 year old darkroom techniques converted to algorithms.

Also check out Josef Sudek's panoramic photos of Prague from the 30's and 40's.

Most reactions

Back