Panoramic tripod head?

dezignx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't even started taking pictures yet and someone has contacted me to do Virtual Tours Photography (like 1-5 times per month)...I told them that I just bought my camera and I don't have experience but they said they didn't need anything special, shoot with natural light and all post production is done by them....anyway, they said I needed a DSLR camera(have that - Nikon D90) and that I needed wide angle lens and a panoramic tripod head.....any recommendations?? something reasonable or not too expensive

Thanks

i have a Giotto's VT-809. i think you can buy that and use it as a "panoramic" tripod.
i personally haven't done any "panoramic" shots on it myself.

i may be wrong on this one :-$

What you want is a tripod with a trigger Amazon.com: Slik Pro Trigger Release Ball Head for Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
and a good Tripod (manfrotto's are good, there is someone on this forum selling one if you look at the for sale menu... it probably comes with a ball head too so al lyou need to buy is that + this trigger

Honestly though, these virtual tours are a scam... i saw a post on another forum (cant link you to it, i forgot the link)
about a guy who paid £500 for a virtual tour package (tripod, Trigger head and a camera)
and he had to take the pictures then send the pictures to the company.. he got something like £60 for his pictures and the company retained all rights to the photographs and sold them for between £200 - 400

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Define what reasonable means. Here is a link for recommended lenses for panoramic shots.

If you are talking about reality/virtual tour stuff, you really need a quality pano head, and they are not cheap. When you are doing a landscape pano you have a lot in your field of veiw an it is relatively easy to post produce the results you want.

When you are shooting close objects like rooms, stadiums etc those correction can be hard to nearly impossible to fix if you don't have a good set of photos to work from. That is where a good pano head comes in. Couple of links on pano gear to look at.

Virtual Reality Photography - Lens Choices for Panoramic VR - Tech Note

Panoramas.dk - VR Photography, Panoramic Photo, How To do Quicktime VR, 360 degree panoramic images

panoguide: the guide to panoramas and panoramic photography

ShortCourses-Panoramic Photography

You also might use the searh function. There was a similar question a week or two ago.

What you want is a tripod with a trigger Amazon.com: Slik Pro Trigger Release Ball Head for Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
and a good Tripod (manfrotto's are good, there is someone on this forum selling one if you look at the for sale menu... it probably comes with a ball head too so al lyou need to buy is that + this trigger

Honestly though, these virtual tours are a scam... i saw a post on another forum (cant link you to it, i forgot the link)
about a guy who paid £500 for a virtual tour package (tripod, Trigger head and a camera)
and he had to take the pictures then send the pictures to the company.. he got something like £60 for his pictures and the company retained all rights to the photographs and sold them for between £200 - 400

Uuilliam is right, the setup your looking for is gonna cost you alot :thumbdown:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
check out a nodel ninja tripod head

Thanks everyone for your help.....

Its for real estate properties. At first I thought it may be a scam, but I think it may be legit idk. Anyway, they say that I may get paid between $75-$150 depending on what is needed and it should only take about an hour.

as long as they dont ask you for money go ahead.. but tell them you also want money to release your copyright to them
(make sure you state that you are not working for them, you are employed by yourself and that you charge an hourly rate of $75 and an extra $100 per image they wish to use for commercial rights as this means you wil lhave to give up your copyright to them.

I second the nodal ninja but you probably do not have the correct lens to take virtual tours. I do not see you getting a lens for less than $600. Niccor has a nice 10.5 for around $650 but if you are not the one doing the stitching screw them and take ten shots around on an elcheapo lens.

Most reactions

Back