Panther Creek Falls

fishing4sanity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday morning I headed out at 4:40am to go find a waterfall I'd heard of, but never been to. It was worth the drive. This was my first serious attempt at waterfall photography, any advice will be appreciated. The first photo was as much as I could get in one shot, the second is two shots stitched together. Does the little extra foreground in #2 help or no difference?

#1 Panther Creek Falls 8 sec f/18 17mm ISO 100
DSC_6039-1.jpg

#2 3 sec f/16 17mm (each shot, used very little from second shot) ISO 100
PantherCreek-1.jpg

#3 Panther Creek (further upstream) 1.6 sec f/16 17mm ISO 100
DSC_6084-1.jpg

#4 Stream Detail 2 sec f/14 35mm ISO 64
DSC_6100-1.jpg

#5 Unknown name creek 2.5 sec f/16 22mm ISO 64
DSC_6147-1.jpg

#6 Wind Mountain 1/30 sec f/10 175mm ISO 100
DSC_6158-2.jpg

Last edited:
I especially like 3 and 6.

I do think the added foreground makes #2 better than #1. I actually really like #2! #3 is really nice. #4 I think is tilted a tad to the right. I've had three beers as I give that C&C, so you might want to double check me, though... I'm judging that based on the horizontal white line of the water near the top of the stream. Oh, and #6 is stupendous, too!

...the second is two shots stitched together. Does the little extra foreground in #2 help or no difference?

To answer your question - yes, it does. I much prefer #2 over #1. I like #6 as well, except I would open up the shadows a bit.

I would be tempted to change my exposure to maybe 1 or 2 seconds to get more detail in the flowing water in all the "water" shots. Might be worth experimenting with if you haven't done so, otherwise, the water just becomes one big fuzzy white blob.

For 1,2 and 6, I might look at lightening them up a bit. Maybe opening up the shadows. Don't know what software you are using, so it is hard to make detailed processing recommendations.

WesternGuy

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Once I got home and looked at these, I do wish I had done some at faster shutter speeds to see the difference in the amount of "white" water in the shots. I was not using an ND filter, but could have increased ISO or opened the aperture a bit. Which would be the preferred method to increase shutter speed? Below are some changes per your suggestions; the first three being changes to exposure and shadows and the last one a changed horizontal axis. I use Lightroom to adjust photos, albeit my proficiency level is lacking with that software. More advice/suggestions? Changed enough or more still?

#1 A & B
#1 a.jpg
#1 b.jpg

#2 A & B
#2 a.jpg
#2 b.jpg

#3 A & B
#6 a.jpg
#6 b.jpg

#4 A & B
#4 a.jpg
#4 b.jpg