Paper negative contest

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To promote the use of paper negatives, I think we need to have a contest. We can have it in several categories with first second and third places in each... then of course best in show.

Let me see there are maybe three prople who who could participate. That means we could each win about two first places and two seconds and two thirds. Best in show would be the only thing we might have a problem with......

What could we use for prizes. They said we cant give away the rolls again this year.

best in show prize half dozen garlic rolls.

this is my entry for still life paper negative....
paperflagsm1.jpg

Charley, do you have a camera I can borrow? Or are you going make me pay one. But i do have folding Zeiss 6x9 maybe the paper could be cut down to fit.

It can james runs it through a mamiya 645. once you cut the paper to 2 3/8 inches you just put into the empty backing I think. You might need to cut the paper and run it like a 220 roll with no backing since it is thicker. It should work. We can ask james.

You can also load one sheet at a time if it is a studio shot. I have a bunch of cameras you can borrow. Of course they all have retro lenses. And each is quirky i'm sure.

But honestly you only need one exposure per image... Rofl...

This isn't my entry, this is my "wow, this is cool" submission.

CCF00872006_00001.jpg

I taped a small piece of paper in my kodak duaflex II and set it on a ledge. First thing I tried was an exposure around 2 seconds with bulb mode and it worked great! I did a high-res scan and I could read stuff off the bucket in the background so I think the lack of focus on the fireplace is due to promixity.

Grrr you alt. process people are dragging me down into your little world without technology

:)

Im surprised that you got that good a shot first time out. Those things make me crazy and you just knock it off. Great shot though.

We are going to have to pic categories though.

I like

still life
Landscape
portrait (people and pets)

Wont be no action lol. Any others you guys want speak up...

Enter as many as you want in each category....

The more you shoot lowtech the more fun you'll have.

As Charlie said, I do indeed run paper through my Mamiya on occasion. A 10-inch strip gives about five exposures in 6X4.5 format--normally, you get 15 to a roll of 120. I use a full backing paper from a 120 roll... before I took the film off, I creased the paper where it's taped to the film. Makes it easier to line up the film with that point. Taping just a leader and trailer to the paper would actually probably be better, but that's another story.

4X5 negatives are my favorite. They're large enough to contact print, and small enough to manage easily. They also come four to a sheet of 8X10, and that's about how many it takes for me to get a final print (on a good day).... two exposures to get the negative right, and then two exposures for the print.

Darin, that's good stuff, especially for a first shot. I'm impressed ;-)

Matt, I know I'd love to see an 8X10 PN. That'd be awsome. I'll get around to trying it someday myself, but right now, it's not practical for me, since I'd have to build the camera. Gimme a chance to live vicariously!

And, finally... Charlie, why no action shots? Sometimes, action shots can be quite dramatic when used with a slow shutter speed, you know.

Will there be a differentiation between camera types? Formats? Or just subject matter?

P.S. It's great to see more people getting interested in this stuff!

mysteryscribe said:
It can james runs it through a mamiya 645. once you cut the paper to 2 3/8 inches you just put into the empty backing I think. You might need to cut the paper and run it like a 220 roll with no backing since it is thicker. It should work. We can ask james.

You can also load one sheet at a time if it is a studio shot. I have a bunch of cameras you can borrow. Of course they all have retro lenses. And each is quirky i'm sure.

But honestly you only need one exposure per image... Rofl...

Yep, consideration that after my first posting, I think that should work fine, i have 3 backs for my hassy, so i could load one sheet per back easy, but this roll paper would be nice in a 220 back

So what is the average exposure time for paper, does it have an ISO and is it different with each type or brand?

Most reactions

Back