Paper, Paper, and more Paper...

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by aggiezach, Dec 27, 2004.

1. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Howdy yo!

Alrighty I know this is kind of over done a lot with photography equipment in general so I thought I'd give it a try here :)

I have a very limited experience with different types of photo paper in the DR. I've pretty much only used Agfa (b/c its what I can get easily at the local camera shope, and when I say local I mean in houston which is 96 miles away from me) So my fellow dark roomies I was wondering if you all could offer some insight as to your preferred brand/type of paper! Any suggestions on which would be good for general purpose prints would be excellent. I can tell you that I do like mid-high contrast prints and that I would love to see a very rich black in any print that I would create... I know that a lot of that is affected by various other things in the process, but which papers have you all used that are just spectacular in your eyes :)

Thanks

Zach :D

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks didn't even see that one :)

4. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I'm still waiting anxiously for my new paper to arrive! :D I will try to post back when I try it out and report in.

Other than that I have only really used the Ilford RC in normal and cooltone, both pearl, an Ilford FB in matte, Paterson RC pearl, and Kodak Polysomething RC glossy. (Guess I need to learn the official names if I want to be of any help, huh? :p) The box of Kodak was free so that was cool, but other than that I didn't really like it. So I am still looking for a paper to really click with.

5. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Glad to know I'm not the only one! I've used the Agfa RC variable contrast paper, and its ok for most of the stuff I do, but I'm always open to suggestion! I too would one day like to try out the FB paper world! I love the prints on FB that I've seen in person, they just have this look and feel to them that really appeals to me! Maybe I'll give those a shot after I find an RC paper that I like (RC is usually the one in my price range :) )

6. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I seem to recall being able to purchase a box of 25 8x10 sheets of the Agfa Classic 118 (fiber based) for about fourteen bucks....try a quick B&H search, Zach, you may be pleasantly surprised. That is one beautiful feeling paper. :D And even if you're not smitten with it, you're only in it for 25 sheets and less than $15.

7. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm, maybe I was just not seeing straight :) I'll definitely give that a looksee... Sorry for the dumb things I say sometimes... no sleep + work + driving 200 miles today = bad combo :)

Edit: Just ordered a 25 pack of the Agfa 118 classic for like $16 from freestyle (trying to help out the forum)

8. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    And your forum thanks you :D

9. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ilford FB is a little more pricey, I think.

I made myself curious after I semi-quoted that B&H price on the Agfa, so I thought I'd check again: $12.95 for a box of 25 sheets, as stated. I had it stored on my wish list. Not a bad price to check out a new paper. :D

Gosh, if I could just click everything that's on my B&H "wishlist" over to my "cart" I'd be a happy girl. :goodvibe: I have a very impressive wishlist, I'll have you know.

10. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh do you now :wink:

:lol: just kidding!

Thats where I usually send people for my birthday or christmas (if they ask that is :) I'm not picky )

11. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I guess I forgot to specify this was a B&H "wish list" I was speaking of..... :wink: Although I DO have a special wish list, we can file that under "not for TPF viewing"! :p

12. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

Hey if you guys want good cheap fiber paper, try the Arista EDU from Freestyle. I here its good stuff and about half the price as everything else.