Parental controls

bace said:
Firefox has a pretty good pop-up blocker.

Although it doesn't work all the time. Somehow Myspace has gotten around their blocker.

I'm starting to notice a few pop ups as well (we use Firefox). I was nice while it lasted :lol:

the google toolbar has a decent pop-up blocker too

another thing you could consider is a router. these allow you to block access to sites that contain certain words. You choose the words you want blocked. If some one tries to access a site with a blocked word the site will not appear, and a report will be sent to your email

My siblings attend a private school where they have a filtering system that banned all websites at first. The administrators have to unlock the websites. It was a bit tedeous at first but after 3 years most of the important sites that the students use are unblocked. If a student needs a certain site, the admin reviews it and will then unblock it if it is appropriate. I think this works well but then again this school only has about 25 to 30 students.

Don't rely on the google filter it's terrible. So much bad stuff gets through... not that I've tried... I just...

Yep as said Firefox blocks pop ups etc, you could goole (haha!) for something that allows you to block websites with certain words in. sometimes can hinder innocnet surfing but if it is innocent and I suppose it will be at 6 then all you have to do is type in a password.

Reminds me of the time I was looking for links for the Canadian band Rush. Clicked on a link for Mathew Rush. Lets just say that Mathew was VERY excited about something. :)

Varthlokkur said:
Reminds me of the time I was looking for links for the Canadian band Rush. Clicked on a link for Mathew Rush. Lets just say that Mathew was VERY excited about something. :)

:lmao:

I'm not a parent yet, and I'm not looking forward to making these kinds of decisions...but simply blocking things from kids only makes it worse. That's not to say you should let them see everything.

Some of the more sheltered kids I knew growing up...turned out the worst...or at least made some of the worse decisions when they were teenagers and finally had a taste of freedom.

The hard part is factoring in the kid's age and maturity. When they are so young, you can't let them rely on good judgement...you have to teach them that. Trying to block them off from the bad stuff can only work for so long...

I'd have to agree with Mike. I think it's better to insulate, not isolate.

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts everyone! I didn't know about the google search restrictions so I did enable that. By no means are we trying to shelter the kids, it's like Daniel said, just innocent surfing that can lead to sites that aren't appropriate. Since we are with them while they are on the computer it's probably not too much of an issue regardless. I agree with those who said not to shelter kids. I came from a house where I was given trust and allowed to make my own decisions for the most part and that's how I plan to raise my children as well. We address issues that come up, and while it's not always easy to find the right way to explain something, the boys get an honest answer!

now for the answer from a child veiw. i am twelve but soeme times i act like a thre year old earleir today i got in a nija fight with my freind but now cack to the question
google has good filters, as long as he does not teribly mispell things(like me) you will be find. i have looked into this, dont judge me to quickly. i have younger sisters and do a lot of internet reaserch so i know as long as he does not go into the 8th or so page and beyond he is fine

Most reactions

Back