Paris Anyone?

anonymouscuban

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got a great response to my post on Iceland so decided to share some shots I took during 4 days spent in Paris with my wife this year. Did quite a bit of sightseeing. I think our fitness tracker had us walking almost 100 miles. My feet sure felt like it was 1000.

It was my first time in Paris; my wife's second trip. She went with her mother the previous year. I went in with low expectations. Not sure why. I've heard nothing but great things but I wasn't sure it was going to be for me. The city is amazingly beautiful. Much cleaner than I expected. So much history.

Here are a handful of my favorite shots from the trip.

1 - Sunrise at the Eiffel Tower
i-k4pv6xb-X3.jpg

2 - Arc de Triomphe
i-dcMCt3b-X3.jpg

3 - The other side of Notre Dame Cathedral
i-CGrhktR-X3.jpg

4 - Sun setting on the Louvre Museum
i-ZDFGMGQ-X3.jpg

5 - Cellist at the Louvre Museum (hopefully columns make this forum compliant ;-)
i-mS3WrMb-X3.jpg

6 - Louvre Museum at night.
i-sDDK5S2-X3.jpg

7 - Montmarte Cathedral
i-qzhmjKh-X3.jpg

8 - Performing over the city of Montemarte
i-5FKrHf8-X3.jpg

9 - Moulin Rouge
i-KFRStfP-X3.jpg

10 - Sainte-Chapelle
i-BNgS7NF-X3.jpg

11 - Inside of Notre Dame Cathedral
i-jgDTT8H-X3.jpg

12 - Sunset at Eiffel Tower
i-tgDk6Fk-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice I was just in Paris myself and have many of the same shots although I like your much better. In Notre Dame cathedral did you sit your camera on floor?

I tried sitting mine on the floor to get a shot with lower ISO and got yelled at but it also appears less busy than when I was there.

Nice I was just in Paris myself and have many of the same shots although I like your much better. In Notre Dame cathedral did you sit your camera on floor?

I tried sitting mine on the floor to get a shot with lower ISO and got yelled at but it also appears less busy than when I was there.

Funny you ask. I used a Platypod Max. It's a small base plate. I put my RRS ballhead on it. I bought it a while ago and just never used it. I decided to take it along with me on this trip because I new that I would be shooting inside of cathedrals and such places where tripods are frowned upon or prohibited. It was quite useful and the size/weight make taking it on a trip negligible. Its quite robust. Will hold my D800 with 70-200 f/2.8 stable with no problem. It has little feet you can screw up or down to level/stabilize the platform. It also has two slots so you can loop a strap through it which allows you to strap your camera to a pole or tree or other object.

I also used it for the Sainte-Chapelle, Moulin Rouge and the Eiffel shots. The Eiffel shots - they had placed barriers against the wall preventing you from getting close. I climbed over, set the Platypod on top of the wall, jumped back over and used my remote to take my shots. Once I was done, jumped back over and retrieved my gear.

It was quite busy when I was there. Staff noticed me doing it and no one gave me a second look. Well, a few visitors certainly wanted to know what the heck it was but no one official.

BTS shot of Notre Dame shot. ISO 100 - long exposure.
19023527_10155188761920336_5978969765883485953_o.jpg

The Platypod strapped to my backpack. I can quickly screw the ball head off and stuff everything in my pack if needed.
19224805_10155205120820336_7536302291109000904_n.jpg

This is what it looks like without the ball head. You can see how compact it is. (Not my shot)
platypod_pro_1009_pro_max_camera_support_1498238697000_1261878.jpg

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool! I had a small gorilla pod with me I was hoping to use but they confiscated that at the door and let me have it back when I left.

Thats pretty cool! I had a small gorilla pod with me I was hoping to use but they confiscated that at the door and let me have it back when I left.
So weird. If I recall, when I walked into Notre Dame, I had my camera on the ball head/platypod. I was holding the camera in my hand. They didn't say anything to me.

I took quite a few shots inside the cathedral. Set it on the ground, right between my feet while crouched down in a catchers stance. Took my shots, moved on. Again, no one batted an eye.

It could be my charm and good looks though. LoL

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well in all fairness my wife says I look like a terrorist. Im not good looking and sometimes make small children cry. lol
Security was heightened all over Paris when I was there not sure why. I had the gorilla pod strapped to my backpack. I was politely tapped on the shoulder and told "tripods" were not allowed. The sam person said I was obstructing the walkway when I tried sitting the camera on the floor. I suppose it just depends on day. But glad you got away with it great shot!

I was actually asked to not even take pictures in some of the placed we visited and my camera and backpack had to be checked at another museum we visited (can't recall the name).

Well in all fairness my wife says I look like a terrorist. Im not good looking and sometimes make small children cry. lol
Security was heightened all over Paris when I was there not sure why. I had the gorilla pod strapped to my backpack. I was politely tapped on the shoulder and told "tripods" were not allowed. The sam person said I was obstructing the walkway when I tried sitting the camera on the floor. I suppose it just depends on day. But glad you got away with it great shot!

I was actually asked to not even take pictures in some of the placed we visited and my camera and backpack had to be checked at another museum we visited (can't recall the name).
I've been banned from taking photos twice. Once was in the Philippines. Can't recall the other time. Funny thing is both times, there were plenty of people taking pictures. I was told I could not because I "looked" like a pro photographer. It was my gear. It's why I always have my little 50mm lens in my bag. Put that on and I no longer look like a pro. Haha

Really very nice set.

Great set, 1, 6, 10, 12 are my favs, with 10 being absolutely stunning! all that stained glass <3

awesome set! thanks for the BTS shots.

I also got yelled at the Pantheon in Rome. I wanted a good pic of the oculus and the dome. . . .
So, I layed down right in the center on my back and started taking pictures. :aiwebs_016::aiwebs_016:

That was not appreciated very much from the caretakers, I suspect. :angry::angry: I don't know Italian, but I think they were cusing at me. And to consider it's still used as a operating church. :aiwebs_016: :barbershop_quartet_member:

I also got yelled at the Pantheon in Rome. I wanted a good pic of the oculus and the dome. . . .
So, I layed down right in the center on my back and started taking pictures. :aiwebs_016::aiwebs_016:

That was not appreciated very much from the caretakers, I suspect. :angry::angry: I don't know Italian, but I think they were cusing at me. And to consider it's still used as a operating church. :aiwebs_016: :barbershop_quartet_member:
To be honest, I have witnessed people doing a lot of disrespectful things all to get that one photo. So I can understand the reaction of some of these caretakers. It probably happens often and they're just fed up.

It's tough to know what is acceptable and what's not when in a foreign place. I find that showing just a little respect, just small gestures like asking if it's OK to take photos, goes a long way.

And not beating you up but I probably wouldn't advise laying down on the ground of a church or other sacred place. You didn't know so not criticizing you for doing so but I can understand their reaction.

five great shot..... eight....great great great shot...... congratulation.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back