Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
0706_0194-1.JPG

1. Body: Nikon D90
  2. Focal Length: 105mm
  3. Shutter: 1/100
  4. Aperture: f/9.0
  5. ISO: 200

I felt like there was something there before I took this photo, but I feel like I missed something. Should I have shot from a different angle? Is there nothing here to take a picture of? Besides the crappy fence, what would've made this shot better? Thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:
Tiny picture is tiny. :sexywink:

sorry. Meant to hit preview first. Trying to figure out how to make it bigger. Give me a minute.

phew. First time posting from Picasaweb. Had to figure it out. :peacesign:

I felt like there was something there before I took this photo, but I feel like I missed something. Should I have shot from a different angle? Is there nothing here to take a picture of? Besides the crappy fence, what would've made this shot better? Thoughts? Thanks.

What did you want to emphasize in this picture? Was it the repetition of chairs, or the fact that they're all empty?

Personally, I might have sat on the curb (photo, right) and framed a shot with two or three empty benches and waited for someone to walk by. Might have also used a slow shutter, like 1/8 or 1/15, to create motion blur.

So when you know what you want to emphasize, it becomes easier to remove things from the frame.

Couple general tips: shoot from the subject's level (unless intentionally doing otherwise for effect), and keep your horizons level.

What did you want to emphasize in this picture? Was it the repetition of chairs, or the fact that they're all empty?

Personally, I might have sat on the curb (photo, right) and framed a shot with two or three empty benches and waited for someone to walk by. Might have also used a slow shutter, like 1/8 or 1/15, to create motion blur.

So when you know what you want to emphasize, it becomes easier to remove things from the frame.

Couple general tips: shoot from the subject's level (unless intentionally doing otherwise for effect), and keep your horizons level.

What drew me in was the repetition. Although if there were people (or a person) on any of them, I don't think I would have taken the shot. But maybe I would be wrong? Thanks for the new perspective, I hadn't thought of that. I appreciate the general tips too. I guess I should put some more thought into it before I shoot. A lot of times I don't know why I am drawn to a certain subject/angle/composure... I should probably start figuring that out!

Jands
There is a lot of dead space to the right of this photo.
Maybe shoot this in a portrait type and even try to get some elevation when doing so. Try a couple of different angles to see which one you like best.

I think there are many ways that may work. Even try shooting through the hand rails. Experiment, don't be afraid to make any mistakes - break some rules ;).
If you can get back there, maybe experiment...if you do, please post.

I agree! Portrait style may get some better results..and maybe from a lower angle as well. The vacany on the right side kills it for me. Also it just seems that the whole picture is off a bit on the angle, but that may just be me.

clone out the person walking? Or just do a vertical crop?

i am not sure that what is your subject from your picture.

I would have gotten lower to the subject and eliminated some of the dead space...maybe try cropping it .i like the repetition of the benches; however, the fence kind of kills it for me. Maybe reshoot and get in closer? Then post it! :)

Thank you everybody for your honest feedback. The shot is in Washington D.C. and was taken enroute to Turkey. Hopefully next year, if we move back to the U.S. I can stop by and maybe attempt this shot again - assuming the benches are still there. Even if there is nothing that interesting to shoot at, the practice would be worth it. Thanks again.

I can't find what I'm supposed to look at in the picture. I think if you wouldn't have made it the title I wouldn't have looked to the benches first. I agree that a portrait might work better.

Most reactions

Back