Parking Garage Automotive Advice

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by lyonsroar, Aug 11, 2010.

1. lyonsroar

lyonsroar TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm planning a photoshoot this weekend in a parking garage with my 2009 Crystal White Pearl MazdaSpeed3.

I'm looking for advice shooting in low light conditions. It will be a twilight shoot. Some will be done up top in the natural light, and some will be done in the lower levels with halogen type lighting. I've never done a shoot in a garage before so I'm looking for general advice.

I will be shooting a lot of HDR images (that's what I'm into at this moment,) but I would also like some plain old single exposure pictures as well.

Advice anyone?
    THANKS!

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    First and foremost, ensure you have permission. I'm assuming you won't be using additional lights, so you're going to have to be careful about the placement of the car with respect to existing light. Bring lots of reflectors (large pieces of white cardstock will work if you have nothing else), a polarizing filter control reflection, and a helper or two. Use large apertures to ensure shallow DoF and keep the car well away from the walls so that you avoid sharply focused, distracting backgrounds. Especially indoors, ensure you shoot a custom WB, or have a white/grey/black card in at least one image to calibrate your WB from.

3. lyonsroar

lyonsroar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice!

I have a ton of cardstock to use as reflectors. I don't have a polarizing filter, nor can my camera accomodate one unfortunately. I'm stuck with my up model P&S for a while. It does have aperture priotity, shutter speed priority, manual, and program modes though, so I do have some control.

By large apertures, you mean small f numbers right?

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sure it can!

Right, although remember, a physically smaller sensor is going to produce pictures with proportionally greater DoF at a given aperture for a particular focal length than a larger sensor.

5. shaunly

shaunly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    keep your ISO low as possible

6. lyonsroar

lyonsroar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I had no idea those existed! AWESOME! I doubt I can get it here by Sunday though without paying through the nose for shipping...

Run that last part by me again? I'm still a newbie. :hug::

7. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit