Parrots, the other white meat.

Human raised, hand fed parrots if socialized properly are normaly very gentle. Wild caughts are the wild childs. A hand fed macaw is usally a gentle giant. Of all the birds we have, the big cockatoos and large macaws are my most loved.

I'll have to see if I can dig up the picture of the Hyacinth macaw I worked with at one time. I had a blue and gold for several years but had to get rid of her after my daughter was born. The bird hated her (jealous).

Here is a shot of a friends Hyacinth. Her name is Jordie. One of her favorite things to do is sit on your head, anyone's head it doesnt matter. Quite an experience to have a 46" high bird playing in your hair.

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments. The Hyacinth Macaw was printed at 20" X 30" for the friend. It was a truly impressive print. I have always loved that shade of blue, and the print just knocked her out when she first saw it.

Here is an image of our Greenwing Macaw named Polly. (not very original, but it was her name when she came to us) This was from the same shoot as the first two images. She is another rescue, we have had her in the family for about 6 years. She is slightly smaller than the Hyacinth Macaw but larger than a Blue and Gold Macaw at about 40" tall. She is very gentle and talkative with about a 50 phrase vocabulary. The lighting was a little harsh as the sun came out from behind clouds about the time we were finishing up. Hope you enjoy, and comments are welcome.

I love how sharp these pics are and how vibrant the colours are.

My mum had a weiro for years (in the parrot family but rather small). Various types of cockatoos are native here...fly around in great big packs...can be such a menous...but oh so cute.

They are all beautiful - the birds as well as their photos!!! :)

Hey! We used to have a Peach crested (I think that's what it was called) Cockatoo, too! Not anymore though. She originally belonged to my gramma, but she had to give her up because she couldn't handle breathing in the dander anymore (she had lung cancer and had part of a lung removed). So...she gave the bird to us, and we had it for several years, but then my mom got to the same point...she couldn't breathe in the dander anymore. So Peachy had to go. :(

Call this a bump with a post. :mrgreen: This is a shot from the Cincinnati Zoo of a Thick-Billed parrot, very rare and endangered. Shot with a combo of available light from an overhead sktlight and fill flash. Nikon D1X and SB-80DX. Enjoy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back