Partial editing of a dark picture?

Purple

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I've been away from the board for a bit as I'm reading & learning about my new DSLR.

One of my favorite photos is one of the very first pictures I took with my camera (before beginning to learn about it).

I snapped a quick picture of my boyfriend on the waterfront of our town. The background came out nice, but he came out underexposed. Is there a way to lighten certain part of the picutre? Or...should the whole photo be lightened? This was taken quickly...without looking at meters or anything, or having much of an understanding about the camera at all. But now that I have it, I love the background & would like to fix it up a bit if possible.

Oh - and I'm not up on photoshop yet (still mastering the camera). So if there is a way, can you explain it a bit? Thanks.

nick.jpg

Last edited:
You CAN adjust that in Photoshop, but chances are he will come out extremely grainy. Did you shoot in RAW? Next time try using a flash :)

Yes, to a certain extent, this error can be rescued, but it will always show, for very much brightened areas will become very noisy.

With the help of Photoshop you can select specific areas that you want to deal with, while leaving the other part of the photo as it is, and it is what I did, but ... not even Photoshop is THE remedy against fundamental errors such as this one. I understand that by now you know a lot more about the way your camera works, though? Good! :D

Purple_nick_myedit.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back