Passing By-kers

Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanyesther.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Finally a long weekend! Well, I have been inspired by several recent mountain biking shots to post my own rather interesting attempt. These were taken at a photography workshop 3 minutes from Banff, and what can I say except my flash just might be my new best buddy?

Anyways, once again I put them on the net and they seemed to have underexposed by about 1/3 to 1/2 a stop, but I am sure you all understand. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, did I forget to mention, you can see this beautiful scenery and area in
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63115

tpfYJ8R0594.jpg

tpfYJ8R0665.jpg

3. Framing is off, not to mention the vortex!
tpfYJ8R0697.jpg

tpfYJ8R0607.jpg

tpfYJ8R0596.jpg

tpfYJ8R0599.jpg

tpfYJ8R0673.jpg

tpfYJ8R0718.jpg

tpfYJ8R0580.jpg

P.S. I should probably mention, my humour is generally not quite that lame, but for lack of imagination, that was the result.

I really like #5 & #9. I have to admit that I went for the more clearer ones :)))

WOW...killer shots. Love these

Thanks for your comments. It surely was a great few days. If anyone wants info on this comign years, I would be glad to find the link.

HOLY CRAP! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!?!?
I'm thinking probably f/22 with a slow flash sync like 1/40th/second range, and for the twisted ones, i'm thinking you were twising the camera.

How exactly did you do these? I mean HOW CLOSE WERE YOU?!
tpfYJ8R0697.jpg

tpfYJ8R0673.jpg

tpfYJ8R0718.jpg

Oh shucks.. here goes my trade secret ;)

Actually, for the first two you are asking about, he wasn't actually moving. Actually, now that I look at it, the peddle on the first on is above and infront of his foot. Whoops! It was on a slope, therefore he was leaning to one side, in addition to some prompting to have that biking 'look'. My EXIF data for those were 1/15s and f/11.0
Now, before I look like an entire farce. :lol:The third one he is indeed coming down that hill at a rather fast pace. I actually had another person ask me if I was trying to get myself killed as I had propped myself on my backpack and just waited for them to come down that hill and around a sharp curve. Fortunately, these guys knew what they were doing, or else I would have been.. 'trail' kill.

You pretty much have the technique down. The first and third both have zoomies. The first has a 'twist' (bringing one side of the camera one way and the other the other, with the 'axis' perpindicular to the face). The second is simply the 'twist' method (I actually missed and hit the rock, but luckily the flash made up for that), and the last is also with a pan.

I set my flash to about a quarter or half overexposed, and set it to go at the very end of the shutter speed to stop the movement. Quite an interesting experiment to say the least :)

No joke? so it was a slow, rear curtain eh, beucase if you had just done a regular flash, it would have illuminated the background too and it would have stopped it. As opposed to having the rear curtain, the first end of the exposure blurs everything and the flash pops off and freezes the subjects.

I'm surprised you didn't do a 1/2-1 stop under exposure as to avoid freezing the backgound as well.

Very cool series!! Thanks for the explaination on how you got these great shots. :)

Unfortunately I can't remember the conditions precisely, but with those settings, I am quite certain the total image would underexpose by about 1/3 of a stop, therefore the flash would properly expose the subject (though, there are a few here where they were 'over' flashed) The only parts that aren't the 'main' subject which are in focus are the shadowed areas because they hadn't received enough ambient light prior to the flash to 'blur'. Mostly trial and error.

Thanks everyone. I will see if I might be able to dig up one or two more. As you can imagine, most of these were either blurry, improperly focused etc. etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back