Passport photography help

Allan73

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am very new to photography of any kind. I live in a rather rural part of Ontario, Canada. I teach a class for a government licence and once a student has passed a series of tests, they must send a "passport size photo" along with their paperwork. Their isn't a place to get a passport photo in any reasonable distance from our facilities. I have purchased a Canon Rebel XTI and a PIXMA iP6700D printer. Is there a way to print "passport size photos" without using a computer to crop the pictures? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't even know what settings to use on my camera. Sorry for my total ignorance of photography, but I am very interested in learning.

Much Appreciated,
Al

I am very new to photography of any kind. I live in a rather rural part of Ontario, Canada. I teach a class for a government licence and once a student has passed a series of tests, they must send a "passport size photo" along with their paperwork. Their isn't a place to get a passport photo in any reasonable distance from our facilities. I have purchased a Canon Rebel XTI and a PIXMA iP6700D printer. Is there a way to print "passport size photos" without using a computer to crop the pictures? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't even know what settings to use on my camera. Sorry for my total ignorance of photography, but I am very interested in learning.

Much Appreciated,
Al

1) determine the size of the passport photo
2) determine resolution of the printer that you'll use to print it
3) on computer, adjust to desired resolution to yield the size you need....say for 300dpi on 1"x1.5"....that would translate to a resolution of 300 x 450
4) other than the size....there are other restrictions on passport photos as well i assume....like signature, stamps and date?

edit: i guess i missed the part of your message about not cropping in computer........in that case.....try to adjust hte resolution of your printer and camera so that the outcome will give you the desire image size

print size = resolution of image / resolution of printer

Welcome to the forum.

I may be wrong...but I think that passport photos have to be done by a professional (to an extent). The photos have to have a stamp on the back...Blacks, Costco...where ever.

I do know that there are specific size requirements for the size of the head in the photo. With a little bit of testing...you would be able to find the right zoom and distance to subject that will result in the proper sized photo when printed.

As for what settings to use...that really depends. If you aren't sure...just use P mode or the portrait picture mode. There may be some requirements on the illumination of the photos...so make sure that your photos match the requirements. It won't do anyone much good if the photos are rejected.

The Photo Instructions state:
You are not require to submit a passport type photograph or a photograph that has been taken by a professional photographer. However your photograph must meet the following criteria:
- Show a full front view of your head and shoulders.
- Use a plain, contrasting background without shadows.
- Do not wear a hat or sunglasses. Your eyes should be clearly visible and should not appear to be red.
- The photo should have been taken within the last twelve (12) months.
- Size: the photo should be no larger than 45 mm x 57 mm (1 3/4" x 2 1/4"). Your head in the photograph must be at least 30 mm (1 3/16") high.
-The photo must be original, not taken from an existing photo.
- Digitally produced photos are acceptable provided all other requirements are met.

The Photo Instructions state:
You are not require to submit a passport type photograph or a photograph that has been taken by a professional photographer. However your photograph must meet the following criteria:
- Show a full front view of your head and shoulders.
- Use a plain, contrasting background without shadows.
- Do not wear a hat or sunglasses. Your eyes should be clearly visible and should not appear to be red.
- The photo should have been taken within the last twelve (12) months.
- Size: the photo should be no larger than 45 mm x 57 mm (1 3/4" x 2 1/4"). Your head in the photograph must be at least 30 mm (1 3/16") high.
- Digitally produced photos are acceptable provided all other requirements are met.

just wondering...why dont you want to crop?....technical reason (dont have access to a computer?....or because of this rule?

OK...then you should be good to go.

The one thing that I'd be wary of...is that the built-in flash might cause some red-eye...but if you are close enough to the subject and have the anti red-eye turned on...it should be OK. Some of the newer cameras even have some sort of in-camera red eye removal...but I don't know about the XTi.

I would suggest setting up a chair and a tripod if you have one. Maybe just something that will keep the camera in a fixed location. Then you can takes some test shots. I assume that you can connect the camera directly to the printer? Take a shot and print out a test...then measure the head (30mm). If it's off...then just adjust the zoom or the distance to the subject and try it again. Then crop/cut the rest of the photo to 45 mm x 57 mm. Once you have it right...then you can shoot plenty of people without changing anything.

Then comes the fun part of waiting in line at the past port office. The one in Edmonton is the only one in Northern Alberta...the line up is still about 7-8 hours, last I heard.

I don't have access to a computer in the classroom and my home is 1/2 an hour away.

It's possible to make these photos without editing on a computer... BUT... it's gonna take some trial and error to nail things down.

Everything will have to be consistent... every time.

Select the camera and lens (focal length) that you will use for all passport sessions. A tripod will be helpful. Mark the floor with masking tape to show where the subject will sit/stand and where the camera will be.

After making your exposure, select the size photo you will print... every time. For example, let's say 4x6. Measure the head size, from top of the hair to bottom of the chin. If the head size is too large, move the camera (and tape mark) away from the subject. Make another exposure and 4x6 print. Measure the head size, and repeat until desired size results.

Now that you have your floor marked, you should be able to repeat the same results. It won't be exact since heads come in different sizes, but I think it should be close enough to start offering the service.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Mike,

I was in Toronto last week to get a passport and it took less than 10 minutes. I filled it out online, and printed it out. The lady at the passport office told me that it would be 10 minutes instead of the 1.5 hours for those who filled it out by hand.

Anyway, I would spend the 7 hours in line if it meant that I could just move back to Alberta.

Al

Most reactions

Back