password cracker

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
Does anyone know of any software out that that can crack passwords of things on your computer? There are four e-mails accounts for this computer, mum, dad, sister and me. Three are signed up from the main account (dad). The problem is, I only have the password for the main account. Even though I created all of the others. :oops: I'm getting very worried about this computer crashing and the hdd going bang, or something silly like that. If it does there's no way I can get those accounts working straight away. Is there any way I can get those passwords so I can write them down and keep them somewhere safe? I think my only option will be to phone up NTL (our ISP) and spend hours in a queue with it costing a fortune. And I don't think they'd give out the passwords for two femail sounding names to a bloke. :meh:

they wont give you the passwords, but if your family asked for them to be reset to something, they will be able to do it.

password crackers are not something i mess around with, sorry bro

ick - messy password crackers. Not worth the effort. by the time you find a good one you could've written a snail mail letter asking them to reset the passwords.
Does your ISP have a store front you can actually go into and ask them to reset it there? That'd save you on the loooooong phone call. Gawsh tell me about it, I've spent about 5 hours (I actually added it all up) on the phone to Telstra (our ISP) this past week trying to get our internet to work properly.

Save the effort, and just get them to reset them.
Or do you even need them? I mean, if you've forgotten the passwords, you couldn't have used them all that much.

It really depends on what program you are using and how it is locked. If you can still check the email with the accounts but just don't know the passwords it may be very easy to find. If you are using Outlook or any other application that using POP3 to check the mail the account passwords for the ISPS are typically send unencrypted and you don't even need to crack them. All you need is a program that monitors your computer's internet traffic like ethereal. Once installed start up ethereal and start a 'new capture' and then open up your email app. You will see a lot of stuff, but near the top there should be something like 'user = <what ever the username is>" some stuff and the 'pass = <whatever the pass is>'

This same sort of thing happened to me and this was the easiest way I found to fix it.

Or do you even need them? I mean, if you've forgotten the passwords, you couldn't have used them all that much.
They're set in Outlook. Written down, typed into Outlook when I set up the accounts and that's it. And the piece of paper has gone walkies. If the hdd crashes I'll need the passwords when I re-intall everything.

I asked the NTL bloke who came round today and he said to phone them up. All I'll have to do is answer the security questions and I'll get given the info for each account. Woo! :cheer:
I'll have a nose at that software though, darin. If it means I don't have to get off my arse to use the phone that that's great. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back