Past beginner "I think"

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by debvath, Sep 30, 2008.

1. debvath

debvath TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I love taking photos especially of my kids! I take tons of them and I think some are pretty good. But I really want to get into it MORE. I want to learn lighting and stuff like that. I want out of the AUTO mode and KNOW what I'm doing. I have been surfing the net and came across some HDR photos that are awesome. I really want to learn it all. Where do I start?
    Do I get books and read up? I looked into taking classes but not sure if the classes they offer would be what I want. These forums have been a great place to start for sure.

This is what I have been doing so far.....
    I get on the computer for a couple hours, take notes. I could really sit here for 8 hrs because there is so much information out there and I want to just take it all in, but is it enough?

Can someone give me some ideas??? Where do I start?

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would consider a beginner someone who understands and appreciates the Three's of the camera - Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO-sensitivity. I would say that if you haven't gotten that down to where its just second nature, then jumping into lighting and stuff will be overwhelming since it assumes a fundamental appreciation of those basics.

3. beaminge36

beaminge36 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. That will definately get you off AUTO mode. It teaches you how everything interacts with each other. As for lighting, read through Lighting 101 at strobist.com to get a good handle on how to use flashes and the likes for lighting properly. By far the two most helpful sources of information in my opinion.

Nick

4. Patm1313

Patm1313 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The best thing to do is get a couple books and read up. If you like the idea of a hands-on class, then try a B&W film class. This will teach you about composition, texture, and all the basics of photography. Almost every photographer I know has started with film, because it requires you to take better shots because you only have a limited amount and because it costs money just to see your results. It's like batters in baseball putting weights on a bat and getting used to swinging it. When they go back to the unweighted bat their swing feels easier. The same goes with film and digital photography. The film photography is the weighted bat.

5. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree, not to be derogatory in any manner, but if you're still shooting completely in auto mode, you're still very much a beginner. ;):wink:

6. debvath

debvath TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I took photography in high school.('84-'87)
    So I do know a little bit about iso and all that. I've developed film and printed it in the dark room but that was some 20 years ago. So it is all coming back to me, just slowly.

7. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    ;):wink:

8. debvath

debvath TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OKAY! BEGINNER. But I wasn't posting about whether or not I was a beginner. I was simply trying to ask "I want to get back into it Where do I start?"

9. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey hey - lets be Cool Hand Luke here. None of us has any idea about your comfort level, all we have to go off of is the first post above to ascertain your experience level. If you feel comfortable enough with the basics and don't feel you need to master/appreciate AP/SHUT/ISO - then hit up Strobist.com if you are interested in getting your feet wet with lighting.

10. rub

rub TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome!

I have found that a great way to learn is to post up images you feel are your best, and let others rip them apart. You see what you want to see, others see what you are missing. Honest C&C is one of the best learning tools, imo.

11. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, there you go. This is the attitude you need and how I learn everything I want to learn about any hobbies I might be interested in. I've done it with RC flying, flight simming, sim racing, motorcycles, guitar, and photography to name a few.

I was where you are 9 months ago. I did the same thing, searching the internet and reading what I could. I found this forum. There is a wealth of info right here in the forum. I read current posts, I read past posts, I searched for keywords to learn more of what was mentioned in posts that I've read.

I collected many links during my searching of the net pertaining to photography. I decided to put them in an html file and upload it. Here it is for you to browse at your leisure. My Photography Bookmarks

The 2 links I have at the top of that page are the first two that I found and there was a ton of information. They helped me understand the workings of a camera and photography quite a bit.

Have fun!

12. cnvang

cnvang TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Join your local camera club...Some community colleges might have some day or night classes on photography that you can take...Or call local photographers or camera shops and see if they have any seminars.