Pastel Seedhead, critique

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by drdan, Mar 21, 2004.

1. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

Wild sunflower after petal drop. I kind of like this and kind of don't. I don't generally like pastel colors, the more vivid the better as far as I'm concerned. I don't therefore feel I'm very objective about this. I do feel that it would be better with enough DOF to include most of the seedhead in focus to better separate it from the background. Other comments and suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with you about the DOF.
    The lighting seems a little harsh. A reflector on the right would get more light back on the head and even it out. Was it a sunny day?

3. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

I also agree with the DOF. My only suggestion would be to either crop it more or include the full flower in the top right. It looks like you cut it short which really stood out for me.

4. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

I'm trying to figure out what it is about the pic above that rubs me the wrong way. Now that it's mentioned, I think the light is harsh, or at least odd in someway. I believe this was taken just after sunset on a somewhat cloudy day. It was originally shot for a macro but that didn't work out well either. Again I think it might be the light but I'm not sure what or what to do about it. I did take note of the reflector idea but I'm not sure how mych that changes the overall quality of the light.

[​IMG]

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The reason I mention the reflector is that most the light is currently coming from the back of the head. Looking at the stem in the background, it has a fairly distinct shadow on it, so that's why I was thinking you had some strong light. If it was dusk, areas that would normally be somewhat well lit will be starting to get deep shadows, so I could see where that could have thrown me off, since you can still get strong light/shadow.

I think this is what makes the light feel odd to me. A reflector would bring that light back around to the front to light the subject itself.

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit

The light seems blue, while this subject would look better in warm light. Also the white band at the top of the image really dominates. It takes away from the main subject and with the light background sort of washes out the whole image.

7. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

Thanks guys, your critique helps and I think I getting some ideas why the picture bothered me. Here is another try. Still no contest winner but a little more palatable. I added a strong warming filter (85) in PS, bumped up the saturation almost to garish, cloned out that yellow dot which I realized was also annoying me and cropped out the white sky. This has been informative, again thanks.

[​IMG]

8. jack

jack TPF Noob!

drdan re: photo #1, maybe its a case of ..if you went smaller on the aperture,
    you only find a new image with a new set of decisions.

*oh youve just posted as i type i see lol.

yea - i was just gonna mention the 'yellow dot' area. The crop youve
    posted - its losing the context IMO but itr looks snappier now.

what does #1 look like in black & white ?
    maybe you might consider trying that.

9. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

I thought of that, it looks like it would be an interesting B&W. IMO though, it looks awful. I tried different variations of color balance before desaturating and none looked good. Changing contrast doesn't help much either.

[​IMG]

10. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

Here is one I like from last fall. Snapdragons growing wild near Steamboat Springs, CO. After sunset, handheld, Sony 717, no filters.

[​IMG]

11. jack

jack TPF Noob!

thats very nice i think

12. Tammy

Tammy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh.... I really like the snapdragon shot. Very nice.