Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Difficult subject.
Can't pose.
Can't train.
So random.
So many to get in the way.

So, after much waiting and watching, I have grabbed a couple more shots of my Koi. I think these are the sharpest yet, but on the one the focus is mid body rather than on the head. Oh well, I'll keep trying. What do you think?

3779924880_177f8acabd_o.jpg

3780308656_49cb83dfbd_o.jpg

I like the second one, but all of the spots on the picture really bother me.

some spots on the black background... might want to clone those out. other than that... great job! Congrats on the new lens as well. i bet its a killer

I like both of these. Considering all the obstacles to get the shots, I think they truned out very well. I really love the first one.

Very cool shots. I do agree about cloning to make the background totally black, though.

Are you using a flash on these?

1. nice shot though I would prefer to have there whole body and head in focus

2. I like this one. Could be better as others mentioned to clone out the spots.

I really like the first one, like you said too bad the head wasn't focused too. they really pop out and the effect draws me in. Would love to see more.

I like the lipstick on #2 and I would like to see the whole fish in focus #1.
I have Koi also so I know how hard it is to get them suckers posed right and the water clear the light right etc. ;)

Troy

1- whites seem a little blown out.

For both: Beautiful colors and great detail where is focused. The spots on the right of 1 and the left top of 2 are really distracting. How did you shoot these, if you dont mind me asking? Great.

Mark

Ok, after a day, I see some left over spots. After what I took out, I guess I became blind to them.

No flash was used.

They were shot with the 100mm, at f/2.8 ap 1/80 (#1) 1/60 (#2) ISO 400. Handheld. Circular Polarizer. Late afternoon ambient light.
The white is blown, mostly from upping the contrast to get the effect I like with these. It's a little bit of a trade off. It' doesn't bother me that much, but I would like to get it under control. Also, trying to figure out how to get the focus in the "right" place. I have been using center spot AF, but I suppose I could try using all points, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Pic quality is much better with this lens. I am leary of going up to ISO 800, because of the noise, but I will keep trying. Maybe it won't be as bad with this lens as opposed to the kit jobs. Boost the ISO and try an aperture of 5.6 - 8 to get more in focus.

*Bonus* pic #1 made it to Explore on Flickr :mrgreen:

You can probably tone down the highlight clippings in photoshop and still maintain your color contrast ratio by playing with your levels. I tend to use center AF focus on AI FOCUS mode when shooting moving subjects. In my experience being in this mode(instead of "One Shot" mode) makes it easier to focus when shooting moving subjects and avoid subject blur.

Love the floating effect that #1 gives.

#2 I think the debree on the top left is distracting.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back