Patriot Park

Congrats on living where vets are honored and rightfully so! We have had thieves steal the older bronze and brass flag holders from graves in areas close to me here and it makes my blood boil. If I caught someone doing this, I am sure I would spend some time in prison. It seems the concensus is that you have a nice image here, no matter what The_Traveler thinks:trink39:

Thanks Dean. Many, many moons ago, we had a local photographer, that documented just about everything in the area. All in black and white, some good, some "vanilla documentation, lacking any creative input on the part of the photographer" :biggrin-93: When he passed away a few years ago, his collection of thousands of photos was donated to the local library. Whenever I get by there I always make time to view a few of them, to compare then and now. Looking at his collection, you quickly realize that not every image you take has to be an outstanding work of art. Sometimes you just want a memory of what was, and hope that someday, someone will look at it and say, "I remember that".

Sometimes the subject of a photo can outweigh the technical aspects of a photo. Being a vet myself, I understand what you intended with the pic.

The details of this picture that bother me are:

That little sliver at the lower left

You're right, missed it when I straightened the shot the last time. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, the crop has since been corrected.

That one flagpole is distinctly off vertical

Considering the fact that I was shooting this in between showers (and that rain had just started again), I should have picked a better angle on the structure, but I chose to take the shot instead of miss it. The perspective distortion caused problems with both flag poles. Short of taking the image into PS and correcting them individually I chose to pick the one closest to the edge as being the most obvious and corrected in LR. Leaving the one slightly off to bug the &^% out of OCD people.

middle tones that contribute to the richness of the photo seem to be missing

Much the same comment as above. Flat light, devoid of much color. The color version had slightly better middle tones, prior to post processing, but it is what it is.

As to the rest of the opinions, (and they are just that), I take to heart most criticism, and suggestions, but I find denigrating comments such as "with no obvious creative input from the photographer" to be lacking value, and merely an attempt to be ugly on the part of the poster. So with that in mind I will take your advice from your first line and "close my eyes".

Sometimes the subject of a photo can outweigh the technical aspects of a photo. Being a vet myself, I understand what you intended with the pic.

Thanks again Dean. The color version just didn't seem to fit the solemnity of the monument.

Most reactions

Back