Paying to enter a contest?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone ever actually spent MONEY to enter a photography contest?

In the writing world, where I pull most of my experience, we're taught never ever ever to pay to enter a contest.

Are the rules really the same here, or are there possibly some legitimate contests with entry fees? How much is too much? I dont want to ever pay enter, but what about the rest of you?

To me, at least in writing, I'd only pay if the following conditions are met:

1. The contest wasn't being paid for by the entries, Ive seen a lot of writing contests that are $30 dollars to enter, winner takes 80% of the money taken in. That's not a a contest... it's a LOTTERY.
2. The contest, or the people behind it, are a large enough originziation to bring more attention to my work.

The only thing I ever had to pay for was a book that my photo was published in after winning a contest. They never cashed the check though! :)

I personally wouldn't pay to enter a contest, unless the prizes were just insane. Like a 2 year contract with National Geographic or something! :mrgreen:

Some organizations use a pay-to-enter photo contest as a
money raising tool. It should be specified in the contest rules
where the money is going!

I do know that most art shows you have to pay to enter. There have been quite a few where I got to school in Rochester and the vast majority I would say you have to pay to submit your work.

I would assume this is primarily to give weight to quality vs quantity.

And I'd (that is if I'm submitting) only go with reputable names (PDN, NG etc).

I usually enter some photos in the county fair only because if I enter something and pay the membership fee I get in free all week. So it more than makes up for itself.

But other than that I wouldn't pay to enter any contest I don't think.

Most photo/art contests have an entry fee, usually per submission. It's to help pay for the organization of the contest, and to pay the judges for their participation.

I pay to enter one contest (I'm not big on contests myself, at least semi-serious ones), but it's put on by a Pug dog rescue group and the money goes to support the cause.

Most reactions

Back