The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Running Win 7.1 on a I5 with 13 gb memory and lots of disk space.
Using Brother H-2170W wireless printer on network.

About 6 months ago starting getting very occasional lockup requiring hard boot (about once/week)
Did the usual internet search, did all the suggested fixes - nothing worked.

About 3 months ago started losing printer connectivity about every 5th time I put PC to sleep or shut down.
Nothing would work except deleting the device and reinstalling it.
I finally downloaded a multi-page fix from Brother, new drivers, new everything.

It seems to have fixed both problems.
Any idea what happened?

My guess is the problem started out as a conflict between Windoze and the printer, likely the result of a Windoze update. Brother eventually figured out the fix and pushed out new software.

Running Win 7.1 on a I5 with 13 gb memory and lots of disk space.
Using Brother H-2170W wireless printer on network.

About 6 months ago starting getting very occasional lockup requiring hard boot (about once/week)
Did the usual internet search, did all the suggested fixes - nothing worked.

About 3 months ago started losing printer connectivity about every 5th time I put PC to sleep or shut down.
Nothing would work except deleting the device and reinstalling it.
I finally downloaded a multi-page fix from Brother, new drivers, new everything.

It seems to have fixed both problems.
Any idea what happened?

I think John has it pegged right. I've had updates screw up systems. Often, I do a full system backup before I do an update, but not always, and I've had more than one period of determined cursing at my laziness when things start getting flaky after an update.

Last edited:
I don't associate the start of any problems with any update (I don't allow auto-updating) but that seems to be the likely issue.

Agree with MS updates.......... they can cause many headaches!! It almost always takes vendors a few days to update their drivers. Seems incredibly stupid this far along into it...............

might be worth checking your antivirus for conflicts and seeing if it picked up something up it shouldnt have. Occasionally they mis-take something and eat it, or toss it in the bin. Other than that, a corrupted file (happens from time to time) or what was already mentioned driver conflict, could be anything windows is mysterious.

If we didn't already know MS was bad, the fact that other people have to fix their problems would about clinch it.

Most reactions

Back