PC will not open Nikon formatted card

trailguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Formatted on my D750, then shooting, my PC (Windows 7 premium) will not open the card. It gives a message saying the card must be formatted. I did format it in the PC, took photos, and it did then open. I would rather format it in the camera, for that probably has some benefits.I would think the 750 would be compatible with this PC. The card is SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB - 95mb/s

Any Ideas?

I had something similar to that before. My Canon was able to read the CF card, but my PC could not. I suspected my card's file system maybe somewhat corrupted. So I just use the Data Recovery software that shipped with my SanDisk CF cards and got all the image back. After that, I reformat the card and everything seemed to be normal.

Any chance you removed the card while the camera was still powered up? This can sometimes cause errors.

I'm using the same camera/card combo without any problem. You should definitely be formatting the card in the camera - not the computer.

If you are removing the card from the camera then inserting it into computer you may want to try plugging the camera directly into the computer via the USB cord that comes with the camera. If neither way allows you to retrieve the photos then I suspect you will have to use some type of file recovery software to salvage the photos or simply forget about them and start over.

The last manual I checked it specifically stated to format the card ONLY in the camera.

If your computer cannot read the card then use the USB cable to try and get the photos off of the card, then reformat it in the camera again. And do so regularly.

Formatted on my D750, then shooting, my PC (Windows 7 premium) will not open the card. It gives a message saying the card must be formatted. I did format it in the PC, took photos, and it did then open. I would rather format it in the camera, for that probably has some benefits.I would think the 750 would be compatible with this PC. The card is SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB - 95mb/s

Any Ideas?

I have a 750 also and not had those problems, perhaps theres something in what tiredon said. I run a Mac though.

Most reactions

Back