PCB Vagabond vs. Tronix Explorer XT

Cpt.Beyond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently have (2) hensel 500ws Integra monolights and (1)
Hensel 500ws Integra Pro. I have yet to decide what power pack (whether explorer xt or vagabond) to buy to use with them. Do any of you good peeps have these products? I was hoping you could share some experiences (good or bad) youve had with them:) Also how would the Exp XT compare to the PCB Vegabond II?

I have an Explorer 1200, the slightly lower-powered companion to the XT. I preferred the dual 110-volt outlets that the Tronix units had over the single AC outlet that the Vagabonds have...to me, having the second power outlet is a great feature. As far as my recollection goes, I think the XT has a higher-powered battery, greater capacity, and of course, a higher price than the Vagabond, at around the same general weight.

Both are pretty good products as I understand it. You do however need to make absolutely positive that your flash units are compatible with either the XT or the Vagabond units--they are not designed to work with the newer "digitally controlled" flash units. Innovatronix has a compatibility chart which mentions some of the new digitally-regulated power packs and monolights which are NOT compatible.

I was torn between the two products before but decided to buy the Explorer and I should say, its a great buy!

Hi Derrel,

So since the Vagabond only has one outlet, you only get to plug in one monolight ? Or you'd be needing an extension cord?

So since the Vagabond only has one outlet, you only get to plug in one monolight ? Or you'd be needing an extension cord?
Yes, you can use an extension cord/splitter and plug in more than one light.

There might be an increased risk of someone tripping on a cord, but I really don't think that there is any more risk to the electronics of the monolights themselves.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back