PCB Vagabond vs. Tronix Explorer XT

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Cpt.Beyond, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Cpt.Beyond

Cpt.Beyond TPF Noob!

I currently have (2) hensel 500ws Integra monolights and (1)
    Hensel 500ws Integra Pro. I have yet to decide what power pack (whether explorer xt or vagabond) to buy to use with them. Do any of you good peeps have these products? I was hoping you could share some experiences (good or bad) youve had with them:) Also how would the Exp XT compare to the PCB Vegabond II?

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have an Explorer 1200, the slightly lower-powered companion to the XT. I preferred the dual 110-volt outlets that the Tronix units had over the single AC outlet that the Vagabonds have...to me, having the second power outlet is a great feature. As far as my recollection goes, I think the XT has a higher-powered battery, greater capacity, and of course, a higher price than the Vagabond, at around the same general weight.

Both are pretty good products as I understand it. You do however need to make absolutely positive that your flash units are compatible with either the XT or the Vagabond units--they are not designed to work with the newer "digitally controlled" flash units. Innovatronix has a compatibility chart which mentions some of the new digitally-regulated power packs and monolights which are NOT compatible.

3. catwalk.hudson

catwalk.hudson TPF Noob!

I was torn between the two products before but decided to buy the Explorer and I should say, its a great buy!

4. Cpt.Beyond

Cpt.Beyond TPF Noob!

Hi Derrel,

So since the Vagabond only has one outlet, you only get to plug in one monolight ? Or you'd be needing an extension cord?

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, you can use an extension cord/splitter and plug in more than one light.

6. Cpt.Beyond

Cpt.Beyond TPF Noob!

wouldnt that in any way be dangerous to the monolight?

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There might be an increased risk of someone tripping on a cord, but I really don't think that there is any more risk to the electronics of the monolights themselves.

8. Cpt.Beyond

Cpt.Beyond TPF Noob!

it seems that the explorer won me over (im not sure if its the fear of tripping on wires that got me) but anyways heres the link to the product. Innovatronix Incorporated | Products & Services. thanks everyone and wish me luck! haha