Peggy's Cove

errant_star

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkanderson.com
Trying to heed some good advice, I've been trying to be more critical in the pictures I take and this shot which I took in Peggy's Cove while on holiday was one that I really tried to apply this with.

There are a few things which I'm unsure of in this shot so I'd love some feedback and constructive criticism on what works and what doesn't and why

peggy_s_cove_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :mrgreen:

edit: cloned out spots in sky

there are two small dots in the sky that don't seem to fit. you may want to check your sensor for dust; assuming you shoot digital.

i agree with Chase, this is a very strong image!

JonMikal said:
there are two small dots in the sky that don't seem to fit. you may want to check your sensor for dust; assuming you shoot digital.

Oops ... yep I forgot to clone those out :blushing: Will have to check the sensor for sure.

Thanks JonMikal and Chase

Thank you for your responses NikonChick and Cruzin'.

I can see how a slightly different comp with less sky may have benefitted this picture. :) However as part of trying to be more critical I'm making a more concerted effort to do all my compostion in-camera so I was avoiding a crop in PS.

Thanks for the feedback though I definately appreciate it.

I'm thinking a different skyline(more clouds, less clouds, just less blah) and if the boats were over to the right a little more, that would be the perfect shot.

Good one.

Gunderground said:
I'm thinking a different skyline(more clouds, less clouds, just less blah) and if the boats were over to the right a little more, that would be the perfect shot.

Good one.

Actually I agree with the boats being over to the right more ... one of the things which bothers me about this one is the not having the beginning of the rope which is tying the boats up in the shot.

The only way I could have composed the shot much differently would have been to cut into someone's yard and I didn't want to do that simply because the area is soooo small and such a tourist trap that I wanted to respect the privacy and property of the year round inhabitants of the cove.

Edit to add:
Oh and the day was just a pretty crap day I was lucky just to see some sky when we first arrived the haze was pretty yucky

On second glance that shot reminds me of one of those 1000 peice jigsaw puzzles. In fact it's a dead ringer for one.

I don't know if you take that as a compliment, but for myself, I love jigsaw puzzles pictures.

Hi Jen, I love the composition here! I like the big sky, and I think it's great that you got what you did with no cropping. If the boats were over to the right, they'd be "too" centered, "too" perfect - and the fact that they are slightly off is what makes this composition work. You did great! :thumbup:

My main problem is the coloring....it looks oversaturated, particularly the reds, and that's just a pet peeve of mine. ;) I'm all for vibrant colors, but the highlights in the red of the boat are right to the edge of looking flourescent - it's too much, IMO. But again, that's just my perception.

Very nice image, overall. :)

What a great photo! Perhaps it would have been nicer with a more interesting sky. However, you may quite rightly be blamed for many things in photography, but not ordering the correct weather isn't one of them! ;)

I would be very proud if I had taken this.

Most reactions

Back