pelican 1600

Photomanic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like to visit Finland a lot and always wish to take some of my photographic gear with me. With the limits of what carry on luggage you can take. I've been looking into suitable cases for Plane holding luggage. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of using The pelican 1600 or any other hard cases, and if the Pelican 1600 would be suitable for going in the hold of a aircraft, without damaging the contents?

I'm pretty sure the 1510 is the biggest allowable for carry on. I have one and to be honest, it's too much. I use a great backpack and keep the pelican for home storage

The Pelican 1510 may not qualify for carry-on on regional airplanes.

Pelican cases are pretty much indestructible but if they are tossed around you gear inside can still be damaged.
I only ever packed robust gear like light stands and tripods in checked baggage, Pelican case or not.

Oh, I misread. I'd NEVER ever ever check my photo gear, it's carry on only for me too!

I'm pretty sure the 1510 is the biggest allowable for carry on. I have one and to be honest, it's too much. I use a great backpack and keep the pelican for home storage

Yeah, i have a camera bag that fits in the carry on luggage size however, the size isn't the problem, it's the weight, with Finnairs carry on luggage limited to 8kg, my bag fully pack comes in at a 26kg so there is no chance of getting that on as carry on. They don't even offer more weight even if you are willing to pay which is a shame.

I find myself having to choose what stuff to take, a hard choice!

The Pelican 1510 may not qualify for carry-on on regional airplanes.

Pelican cases are pretty much indestructible but if they are tossed around you gear inside can still be damaged.
I only ever packed robust gear like light stands and tripods in checked baggage, Pelican case or not.
Yeah that is what i am thinking, the case itself might be up for a bashing, but what about it's content. I was thinking that i would get the one with the foam where you cut out the sizes of the content, so there is no movement of the camera gear. as apose to getting the one with the badded deviders as that still allows movement inside.

With the foam cut properly they'd be safe but that wouldn't be my concern at all. ..sad to say, theft is a larger issue. I keep my gear with me.

With the foam cut properly they'd be safe but that wouldn't be my concern at all. ..sad to say, theft is a larger issue. I keep my gear with me.

Yeah i'd not really thought about that, however in Europe we don't have the TSA so we can actually still use locks on our bags.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back