Penguins and otters

crownlaurel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First the penguins...I'd have to push past this crowd...

ChattanoogaJuly07620.jpg

and try to focus past huge water drops on the glass...

ChattanoogaJuly07615.jpg

and most of my underwater pics looked something like this:

ChattanoogaJuly07604.jpg

Then the river otters...

There's one...oops there he went...

ChattanoogaJuly07327.jpg

Another try...YES!...except the flash went off (although that's not me in the reflection so I think I caught someone else's flash?)...

ChattanoogaJuly07315.jpg

I did crop that out here...
ChattanoogaJuly07315b.jpg

I finally got a pretty clear one and half the picture is the wall...

ChattanoogaJuly07334.jpg

The crop is fair...
ChattanoogaJuly07334b.jpg

If I might make a suggestion (as somebody who has shot literally thousands of critters through glass), when you shoot a critter through glass it works best if you go up to the glass and press the front of your lens against it. This will eliminate a LOT of the glare, especially from your own flash.

If you are planning to shoot through glass often (i.e. a trip to the zoo) and you plan to shoot low (i.e. animal level but also kid handprint level) take something along with you to clean the glass off with.

Thanks,

I did that last time and it worked well, but I was using an advenced P&S.
With this camera, I was afraid to scratch the lens and it was trying to focus. I think a hood might help that. I cupped my hand over it a few times and it helped.

And yes I have decided carrying soem windex wipes will be on my list next time.

Battle, this was teh Tennessee Aquarium. I remember Seaworld form when I was a child...I'd love to go there.

Which Tennessee Aquarium? Chattanooga?

I'm not surprised the photos of the Otters didn't come out, you'll probably find that the Penguins, being evil as they are, put a curse on your camera. :lol:

Yes, Chattanooga. The Chattanooga one is the one that has the name "Tennessee Aquarium." I want to go to Ripley's in Gatlinburg but it's so much farther from us. I'm only maybe 30 minutes from the Atlanta aquarium but I refuse to go for various reasons (the main one being it woudl cost our family more for one visit there than an annual membership and several tanks of gas to Chattanooga). The penguin exhibit just opened in May and they have several species there. I did get two or three pretty good shots. The Chattanooga zoo is supposed to be getting some African Penguins soon, but no date was given.

Lostprophet...the river otters have a small area and there's only two of them, but those things move constantly. I actually thought about you while I was trying me best just to get a shot. Last time I ended up just filming them (and that was before the penguins arrived, LOL).

Most reactions

Back