Pentax 645Z

Discussion in 'Pentax Cameras' started by Vince.1551, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Vince.1551

Vince.1551 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mind blowing details...

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    whole different animal. I look for this thing to go mirrorless in the near future. Replacing the mirrorbox and pentaprism with an EVF would cut the size and weight of the body way down.

3. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    But the lenses will still big HUGE and HEAVY, Medium format is not for general use, its for very specific and special needs like landscaping or studio work, just not a practical format yet there is no doubt it is super capable much more then the tiny FF :)

4. Vince.1551

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The mirror movement is loud ...

5. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Man I want one. I saw some photos taken with it and the details are just insane. I'd have to sell everything I own to afford one, lol. Perhaps some organs too.

6. Vince.1551

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hahaha same here. I'll probably need to be a gigolo as well

7. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Just wait for the full frame Pentax later in the year should get Nikon and Canon worried

8. thereyougo!

thereyougo! TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

The new 28 - 45 and the 90 macro are weighty (but sharp). A lot of the legacy glass for the film 645 on the pentax system works and is sharp also, and is pretty light:

FA 33-55 f/4.5 FA 45 f/2.8 75 f/2.8 150 f/2.8 and 200 f/4 are all lightweight and sharp.

9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Who cares about the size and weight? This isn't a street shooter, or something you're going to wear around your neck while playing Ma & Pa Tourist in Europe (unless you're someone like me...). Replacing the beautiful, bright, sharp viewfinder of an MF body with an EVF would be a sin of the worst kind!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Ummmm, I'd have to respectfully disagree on that. It could help a lot on mirror slap I think. And I think it would make the camera more reliable, with fewer critical moving parts. If Pentax had more leaf shutter lenses, a mirrorless version of this with an EVF would probably actually boost the camera's actual, real-world imaging resolution in some situations. I can see that getting rid of that big, honking mirror could make this type of camera more reliable and quieter. And honestly, I don't really think of the viewfinders on 645 cameras as being big and "beautiful", really.

What is amazing on this camera is how astoundingly good the Sony sensor is at the higher values like 12k and 25k...it's really,really impressive. And the lower ISO settings, OMG...the video OTOH is dreadful...just oh-so-awful...

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Am I the only one who really likes the weight and sound of all those big mechanics?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Wellllll....uhhhhhh....mayyyybe! lol! I dunno...I think we're getting to the point where the resolution of these cameras is definitely starting to show the effects of mirror slap, and mechanical first shutter curtain slap; The 36MP Sony A7r has a known problem at slower speeds like 1/2 to 1/160 second, according to the tripod-and-test-chart brigade and the landscaper crowd, and needs like 2 pounds of brass bolted to the bottom of the body to quell vibrations from the mirror and mechanical first shutter curtain....the new NIkon D810 offers electronic first curtain shutter now...on a camera like the 645Z, with NO interchangeable digital back options, making the camera last longer is a $4,000-$8500 kinda problem-solving solution. As time moves on and the MP counts keep going up, I think we'll start to see that leaf shutters and EVFs and eliminating mirrors,and eliminating mechanical; first curtain becomes the norm on high-res systems.

Mirror slams upward....first focal plane mechanical shutter curtain slams open...exposure is made...second mechanical focal plane curtain slams closed, mirror slaps back downward.....ehhhh....that is the more or less current way cameras are working. I'm not saying the Pentax is operating that way, but that's the SLR paradigm; I think moving forward and upward in resolution, we'll see more benefit by making ultra high-resolution cameras that have fewer moving parts, and which are much quieter because they don;t have mirror slap and then a one-two double shutter slam-slam and then a mirror-return slam: the difference is like the clunky noise of a 120 rollfilm SLRand its loud "ker-whump-clack!" versus a 120 Rollei twin-lens...with its quiet "snick"

These cameras are now a LOT more expensive than older, film-based MF cameras ever were. The less servicing they need, I think the better for long term reliability. And I think live view focusing is also going to be pretty handy.

From what I have read, this new Pentax demands very careful shooting technique, and I think part of that is due to the big flapping mirror and the focal plane shutter.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1