Pentax K100d AEB

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by six-five-two, Aug 10, 2007.

1. six-five-two

six-five-two TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Solved problem

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. alrey

alrey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats on your K100D! I've had mine for a little while now and I'm absolutely loving it. It's a tough little camera.

The Auto-Exposure Bracketing is actually a type of continuous shooting mode. When you have the mode enabled, the camera automatically takes three pictures when you push the shutter:
    -One picture at the exposure settings you have set
    -One picture at 2* stops brighter than the exposure settings you have set
    -One picture at 2* stops darker than the exposure settings you have set

*In the settings menu you can adjust the order it takes these pictures, and how far outside the current exposure settings it "brackets"; +-0.5ev, +-1ev, or +-2ev.

This is a useful mode for when you aren't exactly sure what exposure settings to use, and you really want to be sure to get the shot. If you have the exposure settings set such that the shot would be underexposed, then the picture the camera takes at +2ev might be perfect.

After taking an AEB set, push the review button; you can go back and see that all three pictures - at their different brightness levels - are stored on your memory card.

AEB is also really useful for taking high dynamic range photographs, and can produce some really cool effects. Look up "HDR" if you're interested.
    An example of an HDR shot using +-2ev AEB on my K100D:
    [​IMG]

3. six-five-two

six-five-two TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Solved problem

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can you tell us the settings the camera uses for the three shots? The camera will take three shots, one at the metered setting, one faster and one one slower.

I've never actually used AEB, besides testing the camera. I just use EC (exposure compensation)...take a shot, adjust it and shoot, adjust it and shoot again. It takes less time than going into the menu to set AEB in the first place.

5. alrey

alrey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Six-five-two: I think with the K100D you have to hold down the shutter release to get it to take all three AEB shots in sequence. The manual makes it sound like you just press the shutter release once and it kicks off all three, but I've noticed that is not the case.

The one instance I've noticed that AEB would be preferable is if you're trying to capture three shots of the same scene, and you don't have a tripod. With AEB you can usually just brace against something, or rest the camera on a table, and get pretty good results. If you have to mess with the EC dial in between shots, there's a good chance you'll nudge the camera off line some way or other.