Pentax k100d V k100d super?

dangergoinoff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok i am getting a camera in about 3 weeks.
I am currently ringing around getting some pricing.
I have just gotten a price for the k100D super that is $50 greater than the price for the original.
Is it worth the $50?
What are the differences between these two cameras?

As far as I know the Super offers a self cleaning sensor (by vibration of the sensor, but apparently that is not very effective) and is compatible with the new SDM Pentax lenses (faster and quieter autofocus lenses. An equivalent to USM in Canon terms or HSM in Sigma terms). The 'basic' K100D does not offer these features

Hi there.

Steph is right. The K100D Super has two advantages that I know of (there may be slight improvements in software but these are the main ones)...

1) Supports SDM autofocus (fast 'ultrasonic' motor in-lens system, like Canon's USM)...

2) Also has a Dust Reduction system.

Now to address them in reverse order... Personally I don't put much faith in dust reduction systems. My dust reduction system is called changing lenses quickly out of the wind, and giving it the occasional clean :)
The SDM support however could be useful. First I should point out something: SDM is currently only featured on two new high-end zooms, the 16-50mm f/2.8 and the 50-135mm f/2.8, both of which are expensive so you may be unlikely to buy them any time soon. I should also point out something else: All Pentax's autofocus lenses, including the SDM ones, will still autofocus normally on the K100D or any older camera body. They just won't focus as fast as with the SDM working. Having said that, I expect Pentax will now include SDM in most if not all of their future lenses and Sigma will probably start to release HSM ones... so in my view the difference of $50 may be worth it for having access to better autofocus in future.

I would certainly go for the extra $50. The autofocus issue is a good one, but don't discount the automatic sensor cleaner just because some people say "I hear it doesn't work so great". That's obviously a subjective thing, and I can guarantee the K100D Super's automatic sensor cleaner is infinity times better than the automatic sensor cleaner in a camera without an automatic sensor cleaner :) Will you be able to toss your camera into the sandbox with the sensor cap off and expect the cleaner to take care of things? No. But if it shakes free one or two loose particles every once in a while it'll save you some hassle, and that's probably worth the $50 in the end.

Plus the camera has "SUPER" on it in cool italic lettering.

I would certainly go for the extra $50. The autofocus issue is a good one, but don't discount the automatic sensor cleaner just because some people say "I hear it doesn't work so great". That's obviously a subjective thing, and I can guarantee the K100D Super's automatic sensor cleaner is infinity times better than the automatic sensor cleaner in a camera without an automatic sensor cleaner :) Will you be able to toss your camera into the sandbox with the sensor cap off and expect the cleaner to take care of things? No. But if it shakes free one or two loose particles every once in a while it'll save you some hassle, and that's probably worth the $50 in the end.

Plus the camera has "SUPER" on it in cool italic lettering.

This is probably what will get me over the line in the end :lol:

I've just read this in Black and White Photography:' the K100D Super also adds support for the new range of SDHC cards which allow higher capacities than existing SD cards.'

So in your opinion is it worth the extra $50 for these features?
I am very much a novice

Just the fact that there is now another -newer- designation means that the resale value drops by considerably more than the $50 initial investment.

Not to say that you will be trading in your camera anytime soon but if and when you do you will have made back your money.

(and all that other stuff they said ;))

mike

Btw Steph the high-capacity SD Card thing can be applied to previous models too via a downloadable firmware update... though personally I haven't bothered since I use no higher than 2GB cards (the "eggs-in-one-basket" principle ;) )

Ok cool. Thanks guys and girls.
I found one on sale for the next two weeks for the right price so someone might be getting an early birthday present.
:D

Got it last night.
It was too late to go out and taking any shots plus i managed to completely forget everything i had read in Understanding Exposure two weeks ago once I actually had it in my hands.
For some reason I think i will be getting out of work early today ;)

I bought the k110d before knowing about either the k100d, or the k110d super. I believe i may have made a mistake, but i love my camera all the same.

Having the word Super on it is pretty cool, and you can always add pin-stripes and air-brush some flames on it.

;-)

Have fun!

... and LeftBehind, don't fret about new technology - love what you have. Or you'll always feel... left behind...

fnarrrr

Hi,

I've been a huge Pentax fan for a very long time. I just sold my K100D to upgrade to the K10D.

You are correct about the resale value! Although I bought the K100 in February of this year (for about $900 CDN), since they are now selling for only about $550 with a kit lens) I was only able to manage to sell it for $500 - and I still had to throw in a 1GB card, set of NiMH batteries and an old case!

I would also seriously recommend the Super. Spend the extra $50 for the long term gain. The K10D has a similar dust removal system and everything I read about it says it is a great system and is far superior to the Sony version in the Alpha.

The K100 will keep you very happy and I already miss mine!

Regards,
Mike

Most reactions

Back