PENTAX K10D-VRS-NIKON D80-VRS-SAMSUNG GX-10-VRS CANON XTI

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ZIN, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ZIN

ZIN TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I need a little advice please...ok alot of advice... I have been researching the above cameras and when I think I have it all figured out I dont.
    I have been told to just buy the camera body that fits my needs and purchase my lenses separately. I have read these two links along with many others.
    http://ryanbrenizer.livejournal.com/408758.html
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21029935
    and then this one led me to the Samsung
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pentax/k10d-review/index.shtml
    Can you please tell which camera is the better choice ?
    I am just starting out but I need a camera to grow with .

2. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would probably stay away from the Samsung just because they are very new to the SLR world and I don't think that they have a good reputation for this yet. Just my opinion though. But the other cameras you mentioned are all good. Feel them out and see which ones you like the most, and be prepared to know how much you are willing and going to spend on lenses in the future (by this I mean that Nikon and Canon will be more expensive). Go to stores and try them out.

3. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon or Canon, you cannot make a bad choice with either one. Me, I am obviously more biased towards a Nikon, but thats a personal choice. I would not be interested in the Samsung, not against the other 2 contenders. I do not know enough about the Petax to make a judgement, sorry.

BTW, good move on staying away from the kit lenses. You can always go 3rd party and get better lenses for less if funds are an issue.

4. ZIN

ZIN TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your opinions everyone please keep them coming I know there are alot of photographers who have had to make the same choices and as I am all for saving a $ I am more interested in doing this right the first time so please keep your info coming. thanks :hail::hail::wink:

5. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think all of these choices are on a pretty level playing field. I started out buying into the Pentax line a few years ago b/c my wife had an older ME Super manual film camera as well as some lenses. So I bought the *ist DS to continue using those lenses basically. By the time I was ready to upgrade from the DS I knew what things to look for in a camera, what to avoid, and what was irrelevant. I strongly considered going to Canon or Nikon b/c I realized the lenses that I based my first purchase on were junk and it wasn't too late to switch teams. I looked at all the contenders. The XTi had just come out as did the k10d and I can't remember which Nikon it was, d70 maybe. Anyway, I was really impressed with all the improvements Pentax had made with the k10d. I really liked my DS, knew where and how to use all the controls, and the image quality was really good. My only reservation with Pentax is that there is not always a ready supply of lenses and I sometimes have to wait for what I'm looking for to be in stock. After reading the reviews, I decided to stick w/ Pentax. The k10d is really a nice camera. Image quality is very good, though there is some noise at 800 and 1600 ISO. This is fairly correctable w/ noise ninja or neat image. The shake reduction really does give you about 2 more stops of shooting ability. All of the controls were in the same place as my DS so the learning curve was minimal. It has a nice weight and size. So is it any better than the XTi or the D80? Probably not. The only significant improvement over them is the shake reduction. So what should you pick? Just decide which system you want to buy into, b/c once you start picking up some expensive lenses, it will be hard to jump ship. I personally think all 3 are pretty well matched. As far as I know, the Samsung is just a re-badged k10d, but the same camera under it's skin.

6. ZIN

ZIN TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    the lenses he listed are worth about $900 alone. Given that he is a self proclaimed wedding photog, I would consider these odd choices in focal length but that's just me. I would've also expected a battery grip as well. But yeah, it's an awesome package. Is it too good to be true? Maybe so. Granted you're going to take a huge hit reselling any piece of electronics though.

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Looks as though he won the thing in a poker game. Why even buy it if you are a Nikon shooter?

;)

9. scottdg

scottdg TPF Noob!

I am also biased but when I was in the same situation as you 7 months ago I bought the D80 and have not regretted it one bit. The Canon, while as everyone has mentioned is a great camera felt a little cheap to me and the 30D was a little more than I wanted to spend. The Pentax was never really on my radar but I know I have read a lot of great reviews since then and probably wouldn't be a bad choice. The only negative of the Pentax that I can think of (and others can correct me if I am wrong) but when I look at the B&H web site and others it doesn't appear that there is as many lens choice as with Nikon and Canon. Again it has just been my perception that Sigma, Tokina and Tamron are not real quick in releasing lenses for the Pentax. If anyone wants to chime in and prove me wrong that is fine. As we know perception is not always reality.

10. ZIN

ZIN TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I am down to the Nikon D80 but I still like the Pentex K10D but for some reason I am leaning towards the Nikon. Can anyone tell me a good lens for the money for taking shots of my reef tank?(fish/corals)I will be looking fortwo lenses to get me started one for my tank and the other for general us.(birthdays/outdoors) any advise would be great.... thanks

11. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A lens that is VERY affordable, but offers fantastic quality is the Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 lens.

I suggest this as a starting lens for a few reasons:

- Its about $105US (I've seen them go for $99 dollars)
    - the quality is fantastic
    - becuase it is a prime lens (no zoom) it encourages you to learn how to shoot within a limited range, and forces you to get better faster

This is a great starter lens. After that, you would be ready for something like a Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 macro.

All of a sudden, you can take macro shots, protraits, landscapes, night shots, and everything except where you would need a zoom lens.

With those 2 alone, you would have 100% of all you need (and perhaps 80% of what you want), to get great pictures.

12. Imgfascination

Imgfascination TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I have a Canon 400d digital rebel XTi. I too was faced with the same choice and chose the Canon. Its wonderful! I am sure the Nikon is just as awesome.

Good luck in your choice.