PENTAX K10D-VRS-NIKON D80-VRS-SAMSUNG GX-10-VRS CANON XTI

In regards to the Pentax Noise at ISO 1600, Everything I've read indicates that the excess noise is simply because Pentax deliberatly choose not to be as agressive with their noise reduction as Canon and Nikon are. This means more noise at ISO 1600, but also more detail, and with post processing, you can get results the same as any other brand.

I don't do any low light shooting, but so far, I'm very happy with my K10D, with the Sigma 17-70 2.8 Macro.

Well as I said I am just starting out and I mean I have ALOT to learn and my research had me sold on Pentax for the price of course but more so this thread..
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21029935
The Pentax has these features that I think are big also...
CONCLUSIONS: All-in-all I find the Nikon D80 and Pentax K10D the closest in build quality and depth of features. When you consider the K10D has very effective anti-shake built in, effective moisture sealing, and dust removal - and the Nikon has none of these features - the tip is definitely to Pentax for me. I still think the Sony is a great all-round camera, and with the current price about the same as the Canon XTi, the Sony is an easy choice between the two. Canon will sell a ton of XTi's to people who don't compare, but this go around the Canon is the least competitive
Now my question is: What would be my best choice of a lens for shooting my fish and corals? Of course I will need a lens for everyday shooting such as birthdays and my two german shepherds along with outdoor shots but I would like opinions on best lenses for the money.I have a couple if I decide on the Nikon from above but now I am back to my original thought on the Pentax.I could use the couple hundred I save and put it towards a good lens.

Now my question is: What would be my best choice of a lens for shooting my fish and corals? Of course I will need a lens for everyday shooting such as birthdays and my two german shepherds along with outdoor shots but I would like opinions on best lenses for the money.

Well as mentioned, I'm loving my Sigma 17-70mm, F2.8-4.5 Macro. I've had it focused down to 5cm for Macro work, and it seems like a lovely general use sort of lens. Suits my purposes for now, though I'll get something in the 50-200mm range later down the track.

Zin--I went through a similar process recently. The best advice people here gave me (over and over ;)) is to get the cameras in your hands and see how they feel. I was sure I was going to get the Pentax K10d (the price, comments, and because I had several old lenses from my old slr), but when I finally got to hold it and look through it, I hated it! I was SO disappointed, but it felt bulky, uncomfortable, and all wrong. No question. All the research in the world couldn't make up for how it felt. So I went back to trying out the Nikon and Canon and it became equally clear that I was most comfortable with the Canon and have been very, very happy with my choice. These are all great cameras, so it comes down to a personal (even physical) choice. No one should talk you out of that.

Sounds like the best advise ..... Many have said the same thing ....I guess I will hold the gold in my hand and see which one works best....
Thanks for you insight cuz I have been going crazy trying to decide.... But I am favoring the Pentax k10d so we shall see what happens...

Sounds like the best advise ..... Many have said the same thing ....I guess I will hold the gold in my hand and see which one works best....
Thanks for you insight cuz I have been going crazy trying to decide.... But I am favoring the Pentax k10d so we shall see what happens...

My pleasure. Just keep an open mind and be honest with yourself. As I said before, they are all great cameras. You're not going to make a "mistake." At this point it's down to what feels the most comfortable to YOU.

Good luck and be sure to tell us what you decide.

Going today to take a feel ... ;) thanks again

Well as I said I am just starting out and I mean I have ALOT to learn and my research had me sold on Pentax for the price of course but more so this thread..
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21029935
The Pentax has these features that I think are big also...
CONCLUSIONS: All-in-all I find the Nikon D80 and Pentax K10D the closest in build quality and depth of features. When you consider the K10D has very effective anti-shake built in, effective moisture sealing, and dust removal - and the Nikon has none of these features - the tip is definitely to Pentax for me. I still think the Sony is a great all-round camera, and with the current price about the same as the Canon XTi, the Sony is an easy choice between the two. Canon will sell a ton of XTi's to people who don't compare, but this go around the Canon is the least competitive
Now my question is: What would be my best choice of a lens for shooting my fish and corals? Of course I will need a lens for everyday shooting such as birthdays and my two german shepherds along with outdoor shots but I would like opinions on best lenses for the money.I have a couple if I decide on the Nikon from above but now I am back to my original thought on the Pentax.I could use the couple hundred I save and put it towards a good lens.

You do what you have to do man and lets hope you have the cash to invest in a new system in case the trend towards DSLRs starts to slide and all these johnny come latelys jump off the DSlR bandwagon like some of them already did.

Well if the trend changes you and I will have the option to change and yes I do have the money... It's only a camera!!;)
But what will the change be I don't see anything happening in the present .

Most reactions

Back