Pentax K110d

zombiekilla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
totentanz.darkverselight.com
So Im looking to upgrade my digital point and shoot! My honey said he was willing to spend up to $600 on what ever I wanted. I have picked out the Pentax K110d because it is compatiable with the lenses that I alreay have AND it seems like a decent camera. I found it (body only) for about $350.

Does any one have this camera? Im looking for any pros/cons on it. Or maybe a better suggestion. (like I said Im kinda hoping for a Pentax to match the lenses I already have)

Thanks in advance for any info!!

I have the DS and am very happy with it. If I were starting over, I'd be very interested in the K10D which is the newest model. It has many significant improvements including 10mp sensor, orientation sensor (knows if you are shooting landscape or portrait), 70+ seals to keep out dirt, self cleaning sensor, image stabilization, etc.

There really isn't much difference between any of the other models (ist D, DS, DL, DS2, DL2, K110) except the display has grown and they change one feature here or there. So, really I'd say just about all of them except for the newest 10D are going to be virtually the same camera.

Again, I am very happy with the DS. It does everthing I need so far. The only thing I have that is lacking is a PC port to plug in strobe lights which was worked around by using a hot shoe adaptor. Otherwise it takes a great image.

That price seems a little low by the way. It's over $100 less than B&H. I'd be cautious of the superlow internet stores if that's where you were looking, and check out their seller rating.

Johnboy2978 said:
That price seems a little low by the way. It's over $100 less than B&H. I'd be cautious of the superlow internet stores if that's where you were looking, and check out their seller rating.

I found it with a rebate putting it at $347 on a site called C/Net Shoppers. It lists low prices on other sites. It seems like an ok site, where can I check it out to see if it is a good to place to buy or not??

here is a link to the site
http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product...m_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PKK110D&sku=PKK110D

the K10D is an amazing camera, simply stellar bang for the buck.

I personally dont like the K110D for one reason, it has terrible battery life.

I shoot with a DL and love it. I plan on getting some glass first, 50mm 1.4, 70-300mm 4-5.6, and a flash before eventually upgrading to the K10D.

The image stabilization on the K10D is enough to buy it right there. It can effectively let you shoot up to 4 stops lower handheld, not to mention the IS system doubles as a dust remover. The K10D is THE best sealed body camera for under a grand.

but for 600, if I was shopping for a pentax I wouldn't look past the K100D, the 2stop shake reduction will prove more than valuable

The K100d (the K110d with shake reduction) is a great camera, and I don't use the shake reduction much at all so the K110d may be ideal for you.
Just out of interest, what lenses do you already have? Remember that all lenses will be affected by the smaller sensor size, so will be "equivalent to" lenses 1.5 x their focal length. For example a 50mm lens will be "equivalent to" a 75mm lens. Could be a problem if you don't have any wide-angle lenses, so I'd recommend buying the standard 18-55mm kit lens if you don't have anything that wide already. Also if your existing Pentax lenses are manual, they will work but with various limitations depening on the kind of lens (for example PK-A lenses work normally with center-weighted or spot metering, PK-M lenses need to use the DOF preview to meter, and M42 lenses with an adapter need to be stopped down. Personally I find it very easy to use PK-A or M42 lenses, less so the PK-M ones). Needless to say none of this will matter if your lenses are autofocus.

ZaphodB said:
The K100d (the K110d with shake reduction) is a great camera, and I don't use the shake reduction much at all so the K110d may be ideal for you.
Just out of interest, what lenses do you already have? Remember that all lenses will be affected by the smaller sensor size, so will be "equivalent to" lenses 1.5 x their focal length. For example a 50mm lens will be "equivalent to" a 75mm lens. Could be a problem if you don't have any wide-angle lenses, so I'd recommend buying the standard 18-55mm kit lens if you don't have anything that wide already. Also if your existing Pentax lenses are manual, they will work but with various limitations depening on the kind of lens (for example PK-A lenses work normally with center-weighted or spot metering, PK-M lenses need to use the DOF preview to meter, and M42 lenses with an adapter need to be stopped down. Personally I find it very easy to use PK-A or M42 lenses, less so the PK-M ones). Needless to say none of this will matter if your lenses are autofocus.

The lenses that I have are autofocus, so that shouldnt be a problem. I have a 35-80mm lens, a 80-200mm, a 2x tele converter, and a orion telescope with a mount that fits on my current pentax to take pictures of the stars. Do you suggest I still get the 18-55mm lense? Or something else?

zombiekilla said:
The lenses that I have are autofocus, so that shouldnt be a problem. I have a 35-80mm lens, a 80-200mm, a 2x tele converter, and a orion telescope with a mount that fits on my current pentax to take pictures of the stars. Do you suggest I still get the 18-55mm lense? Or something else?

it depends how often you use wide angles. If the answer to that is not very often, I wouldn't waste the money.

Well your widest focal length is 35mm, which is 'equivalent' to just over 50mm on the K110d. So basically you'll have no wide-angle capacity... but with the teleconverter and telescope it sounds like wide-angle isn't really your thing, so I guess it wouldn't be necessary.

P.s. sorry xfloggingkylex, just realised you posted pretty much the same thing :)

I am seriously considering giving my parents and the inlaws a K110D for x-mas presents. They both need new cameras and although more than I want to pay, the price is low enough it will not kill me. For them being straight point and shooters. I think it will be a good camera for them.

Most reactions

Back