Pentax SMCP-DA 18-250

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by S2K1, Feb 15, 2008.

1. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

Wondering if anyone here has this lens. Possibly going on a cruise in August with my wife and I have lenses I want to get before I go, but my wife has a Pentax ist*DL. She has the kit 18-55 and a 70-320mm telephoto, but it'd be nice if she didn't have to change lenses from the boat to the shore. Would this be a good all around lens? I know the focal length will be good, but I'm more worried about image quality. I know it's not an L series Canon lens, I'm not worried about the best quality, I just want something she won't regret and be slightly better than the kit lens. Thanks for your help.

-Trent

2. Stratman

Stratman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't have one, but i have heard good things from people that do. it isn't a good low light lens as it is kinda slow, but for a lens with the range it has, it is supposedly pretty good. If you are shooting in good light, it should be perfect for what you want.

3. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

Not many Pentax shooters on here, but thank you for your input. It's not too expensive, so I might give it a try.

4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I've heard good reviews of it, though I've never touched one. I think it would certainly be a big improvement over the kit in image quality and weighs in at just under $500. Where is the cruise? Will she be taking shots of the action on the ship itself or more seascape type stuff? I might be inclined to take just my 50mm f/1.4 if I had to be limited to just one lens but it would depend on where the cruise was.

5. Yahoozy

Yahoozy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    im a proud pentax user and i am grabbin this lens just as soon as i get the scratch for it
    ive read tons of reviews on it and it seems the ideal daylight lens, which is great for what i use my camera for

6. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

The cruise will be an Alaskan cruise so we'll see the shore most of the time so she'd like something on the long end for taking pictures from the ship, and then go on shore for other expeditions.