Pentax teasing the release of the 645?

Well, it's not like you're going to be blasting away at 7 FPS at a football game with it...

True, however the last time I plunked down 10 grand for something it came with a back seat. I think for a long while I would be mentally "saving" shots and would certainly curtail some of my snapshots. Of course, you wouldn't use a camera costing 10 grand for picnics and beach vacations w/ the family either. Still....I'm just sayin.

I don't think they will necesiarly skip full frame cameras. I think they have decided they can make a MF at a much better price point than the others selling them currently. And it may be an attraction to get more people looking at their DSLR line. People will recognize they are serious and will do whats needed to stay in the game and pick up some pro shooters.

It's 1/2 of what Mamiya offers for its 40mp MF. Pentax could be the driver to force down the costs of the Hassey's, Phase One, and some of the backs. IF they can mass produce it and get people to buy it. I for one would be highly interested in it. Unfortunately I chose Bronica for my MF systems so I would have to change over everything. But since Bronica is done, I wouldn't mind the switch over. Wallet would be bone dry but I wouldn't mind it. :D

[
True, however the last time I plunked down 10 grand for something it came with a back seat.

Its all in personal perception and priorities. Assuming one can afford it, I wouldn't hesitate to spend 10k on a camera (or whatever makes you happy). I'd say 90% of all my co-workers all think I spent too much on my camera. But I'd say 90% of them spent several times too much for their cars (Lots of BMWs, Mercedes).

Last time I looked around, I estimate the average car at work was in the upper 30s to mid 40s range. IMO, That's Insane! I blend in commuting in an Audi TT but what they don't realize was that I paid $10k in cash for it (2001 19.5k on the clock).

I think for a long while I would be mentally "saving" shots and would certainly curtail some of my snapshots. Of course, you wouldn't use a camera costing 10 grand for picnics and beach vacations w/ the family either. Still....I'm just sayin.

I say Why Not? I certainly use my Pentax 645 as if were just any other camera... shots with family and friends included. I recall that was a marketing scheme for them when the 67 and 645 back in the days.... as field cameras.

Two things that prevent MF dropping down to the upper tiers of non-professional consumers. Price (MF digital is expensive) and Field Capability (Non-professionals don't just stay in the studio). Leica S2 is shown to be a good field capable camera at astronomical prices. If the Pentax 645D were to be a success, I think they have to do both very well.

On the other hand... 5 years ago they had this teaser and abandoned/shelved it. Now that it is announced, they are only selling in Japan. Just like their late coming to the digital world, they are late again when many smaller studios converting to digital have already invested to Nikon/Canon (Hassy out of their reach). Yeh.. this Pentax fellow is a little disappointed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back