Pentax ?

radco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As a PENTAX 35 mm user in the past ( Non Pro) I still have the camera and Len's. Is there a market for the older 35 mm?
I am going to get A higher end DSLR and was wondering what do I lose in quality with the old Len's in a DSLR?
I know they will be all manual which is not a big issue the K 1000 was manual anyway lol.. Is the PENTAX line still up there in quality? Ease of use? Not looking at 1k+$ line yet, looking in the 500/700$ line, or should I be in the 1k$ line?
Pictures will be some portraits ( non Pro) wild life, scenery basicly general shooting. I am searching for info here on the forums and so far all great info. But searching is slow :)

Thanks a lot. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Rich

Last edited:
Pentax lost the advertising war to Canon and Nikon is one way to put it; yes Pentax still builds DSLR's and fine ones! Pentaxforums is a place to start, lots of good information and comparisons. I use Nikon and Pentax DSLR's plus a small collection of film SLR's. Your old lenses will work on a Pentax DSLR just no manual focus and you might have to set the aperture manually. You didn't say which film SLR you had; 'generally' the prices are very reasonable for one in working condition. I've picked up a K1000 for $85 with three lenses and a flash to my latest a Nikon F3, lens flash for just under $300. I'm willing to be you will be very happy with something in the $500-700 range though the K-5IIs, D7100 run around a grand body only. If you shop around, Adorama, B&H you can catch some pretty sweet deals. The D5100/5200/3100 are also not bad, will do everything you need them to. Remember megapixels and features are selling points and for the most part it's not the camera that makes the photograph.

Pentax was bought by Ricoh and they seem to be manufacturing cameras that are compatible with Pentax K mount; they also have a newer line of cameras (maybe mirrorless?), Q mount I think it's called. Seems like they have some options of mp and price that work with older Pentax K manual lenses.

I have a Ricoh digital which wasn't carried much here in the US that has a unit that takes Leica M lens mount; I use a not too old Voigtlander lens and a vintage Corfield lens. This time of year you might find something at a good price, and Pentax has a US site that you could check out.

Here you go, 12 days 12 deals! PentaxWebstore.com:Official Pentax Online Store | PentaxWebstore.com
HOME | RICOH IMAGING

Pentax lost the advertising war to Canon and Nikon is one way to put it; yes Pentax still builds DSLR's and fine ones! Pentaxforums is a place to start, lots of good information and comparisons. I use Nikon and Pentax DSLR's plus a small collection of film SLR's. Your old lenses will work on a Pentax DSLR just no manual focus and you might have to set the aperture manually. You didn't say which film SLR you had; 'generally' the prices are very reasonable for one in working condition. I've picked up a K1000 for $85 with three lenses and a flash to my latest a Nikon F3, lens flash for just under $300. I'm willing to be you will be very happy with something in the $500-700 range though the K-5IIs, D7100 run around a grand body only. If you shop around, Adorama, B&H you can catch some pretty sweet deals. The D5100/5200/3100 are also not bad, will do everything you need them to. Remember megapixels and features are selling points and for the most part it's not the camera that makes the photograph.
Thanks for the info a big help

Pentax was bought by Ricoh and they seem to be manufacturing cameras that are compatible with Pentax K mount; they also have a newer line of cameras (maybe mirrorless?), Q mount I think it's called. Seems like they have some options of mp and price that work with older Pentax K manual lenses.

I have a Ricoh digital which wasn't carried much here in the US that has a unit that takes Leica M lens mount; I use a not too old Voigtlander lens and a vintage Corfield lens. This time of year you might find something at a good price, and Pentax has a US site that you could check out.

Here you go, 12 days 12 deals! PentaxWebstore.com:Official Pentax Online Store | PentaxWebstore.com
HOME | RICOH IMAGING

Sharon, Thanks for the info and the links, some good deals now to decide which one :)

Hello Rich,
Long time Pentax afficionado here. I have 3 35mm film cameras (k-1000, Me Super, and Super Program. I shoot manually on all of them, so really only need the K-1000), and the whole range of fixed focal lenses. I bought the K-20 DSLR a couple of years ago and love it for color. All of my 35 lenses will work, but only the A lenses will pick up some of the auto functions. I still prefer going into the darkroom and processing/printing on my old Beseler 23CII. I may be an old fogey, but I can tweak B&W more with film. I would recommend staying with Pentax as their optics are still among the best. I wouldn't hesitate to shop around used for a DSLR. KEH, Adorama, B&H, can't afford to push off defective crap and make sure every used item is in good working order. I have a couple of Digital lenses for the K-20. My go to lens is the Pentax SMC-DA 50-135 ED (IF) SDM. It's pricey, but very formidable. That said, Nikons D-40, 60, and 80's are all fine digital cameras, but you lose the investment in your current lenses. You might get a good deal on the D-40, or D-60 new at one of the vendors.. Good luck, and good shooting.
Phil

Hello Rich,
Long time Pentax afficionado here. I have 3 35mm film cameras (k-1000, Me Super, and Super Program. I shoot manually on all of them, so really only need the K-1000), and the whole range of fixed focal lenses. I bought the K-20 DSLR a couple of years ago and love it for color. All of my 35 lenses will work, but only the A lenses will pick up some of the auto functions. I still prefer going into the darkroom and processing/printing on my old Beseler 23CII. I may be an old fogey, but I can tweak B&W more with film. I would recommend staying with Pentax as their optics are still among the best. I wouldn't hesitate to shop around used for a DSLR. KEH, Adorama, B&H, can't afford to push off defective crap and make sure every used item is in good working order. I have a couple of Digital lenses for the K-20. My go to lens is the Pentax SMC-DA 50-135 ED (IF) SDM. It's pricey, but very formidable. That said, Nikons D-40, 60, and 80's are all fine digital cameras, but you lose the investment in your current lenses. You might get a good deal on the D-40, or D-60 new at one of the vendors.. Good luck, and good shooting.
Phil

Most reactions

Back