People and their sofas

Hertz van Rental

We're supposed to post photos?
Reaction score
When I was doing this for a living I used to like taking semi-formal/informal portraits of people, couples, families in my own time. It wasn't until a friend looked through my work and pointed it out that I realised that 95% of these pictures were taken with the subjects sitting on their sofas. It wasn't a conscious choice on my part. But once it was pointed out I started doing it on purpose... and so it stopped working for me.
I used to have dozens but now I can't even find the negs. Two prints have just surfaced (and two of my favourites at that) so I thought I'd share. Besides, I'm sure lots of you have pictures of people sitting on sofas so this could be a good thread.
I'll post more if I find them.

It's the way people start to behave when they begin to get bored with what you are doing - especially children - that I liked. And the way their behaviour countrpointed the formality of the more patient adults.
I particularly like the feet in the second one.

JonesFamily.jpg

RosenFamily.jpg

For some reason I was watching the intro to a show about Van Halen - and Terry Jones popped into my head.

:mrgreen: (it's the most appropriately smug smilie I can find) and the other guy is Mike Rosen. Well I did say I used to do this sort of thing for a living.....

Now I like that one. Love the harmonising colour - makes the pic. Not sure wether I like her eyes looking out of frame though... No. You're right. It works. Maybe a bit more air over her head to balance the feet though.
Nice one.

Hertz van Rental said:
Now I like that one. Love the harmonising colour - makes the pic. Not sure wether I like her eyes looking out of frame though... No. You're right. It works. Maybe a bit more air over her head to balance the feet though.
Nice one.

Thanks.
A lot of people are iffy about the eyes being up that far. Its actually a self portrait and Im not big on having my pic taken so I usually look out of frame. Plus people comment all the time that I have huge eyes... I never got that till I did a few shots like this.

NikonChick said:
As soon as I saw the theme, I was reminded of this shot.

Toni.jpg
Excellent job for a self portrait..........I have not yet mastered taking a pic of myself..........although I am sure I have captured some good ones, but I absolutely hate pictures of myself.

Thanks. Portraiture isnt my strong suit(in the slightest), especially getting self portraits in focus, but I was pretty happy with this one. :D

Hertz van Rental said:
No, not DiNero. Guess again.

Wow! I thought he looked familiar when I first saw this post. Did you meet him as a photographer, or some other way?

Here's my theme contribution...

camera: Rolleiflex 3.5E Planar
film: Arista Pro 400
hand held, Vivitar 285HV flash bounced off ceiling

xmaseve2004a.jpg

Oh my. Can't compete with any of these here, but the theme instantly reminded my of these photos of my son, who apparently likes "his" (?) sofa very much, and in all positions:

89329241.jpg

(Taken by this young man's little sister with her cheap point-and-shoot camera)

89329239.jpg

(Taken by same photographer as above, but with my [film] camera)

89329243.jpg

(... and draped over the sofa again watching telly - no! Sorry! Shortly interrupting this 'activity' by glancing over to what his mother's doing).

Are they too different from your original idea, Hertz?

ksmattfish said:
Wow! I thought he looked familiar when I first saw this post. Did you meet him as a photographer, or some other way?
I went to photograph him, we got talking (as you do) and we found we had mutual friends.
If you want me to start name dropping... :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back