people charging, when they are awful.

"They have already talked about in prior 5,000 posts" is one thing.
"The same topic popping up every 50 posts" is quite another.

It's good to see opposite extremes though. One person offended about seeing a post again, and another offended that someone was offended. Chill.

Personally I don't think Bob Dylan could sing his way out of a wet paper bag. A great songwriter yes but his vocals to me are like a cat in heat with a sinus infection. All that said I would never presume to proclaim he does not have a right to make his living writing, playing and SINGING songs.

It is the same with these photographers who may or mayn't be qualified to do the job. They offer the services and if you hire them without carrying out your due diligence and get a product you are dissatisfied with then you have to look at yourself when placing blame.

There are crappy waitresses out there that get jobs everyday. Same with auto mechanics, bank tellers, fast food workers, county road workers, you name it, any profession you can think of will have a few great producers, a ton of mediocre ones (average) and a few bad ones. The thing is there are always those who will honestly believe that the bad ones are brilliant!

My MUA got married a year ago, I refused to shoot her wedding because as much as I like her I simply do not shoot weddings. I referred her to a couple of quality wedding shooters but the groom decided to hire a kid (cheap) whose (abstract) artistic print work he happened to be particularly fond of. Photos come back, they are all cross processed, high ISO, macro DOF with weird compositional angles, intentionally misplaced focal points etc. In short the images were abstact and nothing close to what one would expect for their wedding photos. In my opinion the kid;s work even the abstract stuff was simply not very good and I would never have hired him but that was my perception of the work. The Groom felt otherwise.

The couple got what they paid for "Cheap Abstract Wedding Photos" so can I feel bad for them? No, not at all. They had the opportunity to hire a true wedding photographer. They had the opportunity to see the portfolio of the kid they did hire and they hired him anywise knowing exactly the kind of style he shot in and they got what they paid for.

Everyone has a right to try to earn a living, if they truly sux they will go out of business as fast as they went into business.

Gotta' love the thought police who tell people what topics to talk about, and who will dismiss anything that *they* have already talked about in their prior 5,000 posts or so.

Come on newcomers, don't dare to bore the old-timers, who have already heard your thoughts before. Clearly, the only thing worth discussing here is a topic that the old guard hasn't already weighed in on multiple times before.

Obviously...

You know, I'm really getting extremely tired of you.

This EXACT conversation is going on in another thread. (or at least was at the time) This isn't even a matter of "Hey use the search!", this is a matter of "Good lord, read the board!"

yea, even i'm getting tired of this (and i posted one a few months back) no need to created 500 threads of the exact same topic.. its not hard to find them, these ones are usually right on the front of the forum..

lol @ "good lord, read the board"

Well, feel free to GET TIRED of any threads or posters you want...one of this forum's most tiresome,I-shoot-everything-on-manual-, relentlessly self-promoting ones ever here left nine days ago...this forum could use a few more experienced people and non-newbies, as well as a good smack in the face WRT the simple fact that the SAME questions appear here every single DAY!

Save your whines, and simply skip the threads you've seen before old-timers. "Which 50mm lens should I buy?" "Nikon D60 or Canon XSi?" "Which kit zoom lens should I buy--55-200 or 70-300?" The entire world is full of repetition, as is the forum.

What about overread's comments in reply number 11,about the need for certification of board approval? I know that's a British thing, but seriously, given the frequency that the TOPIC of unqualified photographers comes up, it's probably not going to be too long before people who have been burned by these hacks start pressing for legislation, or regulation that requires a government-certified test or at least insurance and bonding, like general contractors have, with a bond, insurance, and a license number. Government regulates many industries--photography might be next. Who knows.

If the topic of a thread bores an old-timer, why not just let it pass into oblivion? Why not simply IGNORE the threads you don't want to reply to, and stop kvetching about how "your board" has all these newbies asking about something that,to you, is so blase? OR do something constructive and write a post that has some information in it. Like I did here in this thread, which is "Which prime lens for me? Nikon 35/1.8, or 50 1.8 or 1.4 lens?

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...77355-cant-decide-prime-help.html#post1703626

But don't just publicly whine that "this topic has been covered before." Move along then. To a newbie, how to calculate a 3:1 lighting ratio might be a fascinating topic, but to an old studio shooter, that information would be a total bore.

Last edited:
Well, feel free to GET TIRED of any threads or posters you want...one of this forum's most tiresome,I-shoot-everything-on-manual-, relentlessly self-promoting ones ever here left nine days ago...this forum could use a few more experienced people and non-newbies, as well as a good smack in the face WRT the simple fact that the SAME questions appear here every single DAY!

Save your whines, and simply skip the threads you've seen before old-timers. "Which 50mm lens should I buy?" "Nikon D60 or Canon XSi?" "Which kit zoom lens should I buy--55-200 or 70-300?" The entire world is full of repetition, as is the forum.

What about overread's comments in reply number 11,about the need for certification of board approval? I know that's a British thing, but seriously, given the frequency that the TOPIC of unqualified photographers comes up, it's probably not going to be too long before people who have been burned by these hacks start pressing for legislation, or regulation that requires a government-certified test or at least insurance and bonding, like general contractors have, with a bond, insurance, and a license number. Government regulates many industries--photography might be next. Who knows.

If the topic of a thread bores an old-timer, why not just let it pass into oblivion? Why not simply IGNORE the threads you don't want to reply to, and stop kvetching about how "your board" has all these newbies asking about something that,to you, is so blase? OR do something constructive and write a post that has some information in it. Like I did here in this thread, which is "Which prime lens for me? Nikon 35/1.8, or 50 1.8 or 1.4 lens?

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...77355-cant-decide-prime-help.html#post1703626

But don't just publicly whine that "this topic has been covered before." Move along then. To a newbie, how to calculate a 3:1 lighting ratio might be a fascinating topic, but to an old studio shooter, that information would be a total bore.

Ok, so just let me be clear, here...

If I have this right I believe you are telling me when I can and cannot speak, in particular on a point when I have eluded that others probably should not speak... particularly noting that my saying that they should not speak is inappropriate, and therefore I should not be speaking on such things.

Gotcha.

So net/net, I'm only allowed to voice my opinion if you happen to feel my opinion is appropriate.

Just wanted to clear that up.

I know that's a British thing, but seriously, given the frequency that the TOPIC of unqualified photographers comes up, it's probably not going to be too long before people who have been burned by these hacks start pressing for legislation, or regulation that requires a government-certified test or at least insurance and bonding, like general contractors have, with a bond, insurance, and a license number. Government regulates many industries--photography might be next.

Just remember, somewhere out there is the worst doctor and someone has an appointment with them tomorrow. Government regulation does not equal quality.

There is no escaping "You get what you pay for".

I have a very different opionion on this subject. I love to see new people excited about photography. I am always happy to answer any question they ask of me and I ask other people questions as well.

One question I never answer is MONEY. I tell people 'if you want to do this to get rich or as a second job, do not do it. You have to have a real love of photography and an eye and be passionate and excited about your work.'

Sure there is a huge learning curve. I consider myself at the bottom of it but working my way upward. It is challenging. But I absolutely love creating wonderful pictures that make people so happy. Yes, they buy their photos from me. Are they the same quality as someone more experienced with better equipment? Probably not.

However, where I live there are 4-8 rodeos every weekend and there are maybe 5 dedicated rodeo photographers in the area. We can't all be at all events, but every contestant deserves a photo.

Ok, so just let me be clear, here...

If I have this right I believe you are telling me when I can and cannot speak, in particular on a point when I have eluded that others probably should not speak... particularly noting that my saying that they should not speak is inappropriate, and therefore I should not be speaking on such things.

Gotcha.

So net/net, I'm only allowed to voice my opinion if you happen to feel my opinion is appropriate.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Internet_argument.jpg

Yeah that pic is hysterical. Little girl is adorable, too. :lol:

Although I truly understand the origional posters concern, I think it's a pretty moot point. Unqualified people in nearly every field, dupe people.
Roofers, Engineers, you name it...this type of thing goes on in every field of "expertise", more than I could possibly name.

J.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back