People hurt in Tube 'power surge'

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by ferny, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4659093.stm

It's on the radio now ('cos we're close to London). All kinds of strange reports coming out about explosions, buses going up in the air etc. Lots of trains outside of London have been stopped and we're being told not to go into London at the moment. I assume it's because there is no way of getting out of there right now. All seems rather odd to me.

2. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just saw this on the news. Adrian gave me a call saying to turn the tv on coz it's all over the cable news... unfortunately the free to air news had nothing on it.

Looks pretty bad with the bus bombs and the tube bombs and all. I hope that all of our London TPF'ers are alright.

(Once I know they're all alright I'll start making crappy jokes about how they were a day late at dissuading the olympic bid ;-) )

3. captain-spanky

captain-spanky TPF Noob!

from my friends in london - six tube explosions, three bus bombs and another suspicious package in a square - over 20 confirmed dead... :( :( :( :( :(

4. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    oh gosh... a few friends of mine are ther :/ I cannot contact them, dunno what's going on with my friends... I hope everything is ok with you, guys here, and with your families too

5. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm so sorry to hear that Mentos. You probably won't be able to contact them for quite a while. They're saying on the news that the phone lines all around London are completely overloaded and aren't working anymore.
    I hope they're alright.

6. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are calling it terrorism now.

Hope everyone on here from over there is ok. God bless you in these troubled times. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

7. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah it's been confirmed as terrorism. The bus near russel square was the giveaway. I've managed to contact all of my friends except one so hopefully everyone I know is OK. We can only hope that there are going to be minimal casualties and my prayers go out to all those involved.

I was quite lucky, I ended up working late on a photography assignment last night in central london and as a result didn't have to go back again early this morning.

8. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That's awful. Terrorism is such a scary thing to have happen.

9. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Did we drop our guard or something?

I thought the UK had tightened up on this kinda thing?

10. treehuggerhikerboy

treehuggerhikerboy TPF Noob!

tighten up on what? impossible to deter all this kind of activity.

sorry to hear about that london....wishing lots of peace and compassion.

11. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's horrible, just horrible. I watched the news this morning and I couldn't help but cry. We've got so many friends here from London and I am worried about everyone.

My heart is with you guys. What is wrong with those bastards in the middle east?????

12. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

There are rumours of it being about G8 (erm, they missed their target I think...) or that it happened because lots of security has moved from London to Scotland to cover G8. All speculation. They've said that they had no idea this was going to happen either. That's the bit which gets me I think. But, if people want to blow things up, they'll do it without too many problems. You can't police everyone and everything.

This may sound odd but, I'm not shocked or scared. People who don't live here forget that we lived with terrorism for years. When I was little I remember going to bed scared that the IRA were going to blow me up.
    I've yet to see a single person in hysterics on TV as well (granted, I've not seen much). Most people seem to be going "yup, was gonna happen one day..."
    It'd probably be different if it happened down the road from me or if I knew anyone who was caught in it though. And I hope that no-one here has any direct dealings with what went on.