People Photography as Hobby

You can also call up local agencies and ask if they have any models interested in unpaid tests. The "TFP" aspect is implicit in this undertaking, and you will almost always get very inexperienced models who have either just signed, or are hoping to sign. The big plus is that they tend to be a little more serious about what they're doing. ModelMayhem has a HUGE flake factor.

Wow, thanks for all the tips everyone! Much appreciated. :D

Many "models" in smaller cities towns know that they will never be full time models to pay rent and are there because they love the art and activity. For these models, many are very accommodating to new photographers.
That's encouraging. I live near a major population centre, so working with models from "smaller cities" might require a few hours' travel. Might be worth it though. :)

I'm interested in having some amount of say over what the model is doing and/or wearing, as well as it being a mutually enjoyable experience rather than the other party considering it work or being oblivious.
Your lack of self-confidence is something you'll have to work out. If you are up front and honest about your own experience, the models can decide if they want the job or not. Yes, there will be some who just won't take the job because a bad portrait may actually harm their modeling career.
Fair statement, though I'm not sure what it is about the passage you quoted that indicates lack of self-confidence. I was just describing what kind of photography I had in mind, and why candid isn't it.

Plus transportation, hair and makeup, refreshments, etc.
What exactly do you mean by "hair and makeup?" I provide makeup supplies? I compensate her for the cosmetics she used up? I pay for her to go to the salon before the shoot? (I imagine that photographers who have their own studio sometimes also have stylists on staff, but I assume I don't need to tell you that I'm hardly one of those people.)

You mention not being able to search on "Time for Print" on Model Mayhem. I haven't used much of the search criteria because quite frankly I search my entire province for all models/photographers/MUA each time as the results are so small, it's easy to view them. But I thought you could search by pay type. Are you a member or just browsing as a guest. If not a member, become one. Some profiles cannot be found unless you are a member (You have that option to keep your account hidden from just casual people browsing) and I believe it does add search options. (I cant check it here so not 100% sure on that)
I created an account and am waiting for my profile to be approved. I first submitted it last night and was told I had to change something, which I did; given how long it was in the queue the first time, it should be good by tomorrow.

I had good luck on craigslist at $25 an hour. Multiple replies in 1 day from 1 ad. I usually say 4 hours shoot but let them go after 3 and pay $100.
I think that's something I could do, if perhaps not especially often.

In an organized club shoot, each member pays a portion of the model's fee, so it's much more affordable.

The main drawback is that you don't get to be the only one giving direction.

And you will be sharing elbow space with another club member.
I like the sound of that; it might not be what I most want to do, but it sounds like a good way to get good work to show off, since a lot of aspects (such as direction, location, wardrobe) would be taken care of by people much more skilled than I.

The big plus is that they tend to be a little more serious about what they're doing. ModelMayhem has a HUGE flake factor.
At this point in time I feel like I'm not necessarily averse to flakes, since at least that suggests they'd be less likely to balk at MY lack of qualifications.

*LOL* you have a lot of those clubs here. Mostly old guys who want to photography pretty models.

*LOL* you have a lot of those clubs here. Mostly old guys who want to photography pretty models.
Anything wrong with that?

Seems like as a hobby it'd be with family/friends, at least that's how a lot of people seem to get started or try it just for fun. I don't know if models would want to do this if they need pro quality work for a portfolio, even if it's done in trade.

There's a camera club in my area that does studio nights for member photographers to do shoots with models. Some sort of club or meetup group or something might be an option.

Seems like as a hobby it'd be with family/friends, at least that's how a lot of people seem to get started or try it just for fun. I don't know if models would want to do this if they need pro quality work for a portfolio, even if it's done in trade.
Can I get some other opinions on this statement? Agree/disagree? It makes sense to me, but it also goes against what a lot of other people in this thread have suggested.

(On a side note, it occurs to me that we're discussing TFP on TPF. Maybe I should be hosting my work on an FTP?)

Most reactions

Back