People

noescape

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey <beginner warning> :lol:

These are just some shots I've taken... C&C welcome!

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

mark.jpg

;)

Ok, you are a beginner and kudos to you for sharing with us! :) Now, for the critique.

The shadows on the faces on the top 2 are too dark. What time of day were you shooting at?

The compositions are not well thought out. Are you a bit nervous to shoot people? Do you rush when shooting? That was part of my problem when I first started taking portraits. I rushed because I didn't want to keep my subjects. It showed.

When I first started shooting, I took a lot of practice shots that were good but were not GREAT. These are good. You're on your way!

Thanks!

Yep I know they are too dark.. I tried editing them but it made the quality bad as you can see. It was at like 3pm that I took the first two.. sort of a bad time I think, at least for the angle I took them at.

I was a tad nervous, yes- I had no idea how they'd turn out! Also this was a different camera than I was used to as well... which probably accounts for a lot of it. Most of the poses were spur of the moment- I followed the couple around the area, haha!

The last one- I wonder if he is staring to hard at the camera? He HATES getting pictures taken of him!! lol that was at my sisters wedding, and I had the P&S and I just shot away.

Anyway! Thanks for the critique! This site is awesome- it makes me think! haha

Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of photography. I couldn't have said it better than DigitalDiva did.

Since you have your "My Photos Are OK To Edit" sign turned on, I cropped your picture of Mark 3 different ways to give you an idea of some things you can do with composition to take a "good" picture and make it more interesting. I am not saying these crops are great or anything, I just wanted to show you some things that could be done to highlight different aspects of your subject. I did all 3 in about 1 minute, so obviously if you spend more time at it you could do a lot better.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

It is interesting that you can divide a person's face in half with one image for each half, split them apart and sometimes it looks like they have two entirely different expressions on their faces.

Here is another simple quick and dirty crop that you might find of interest:

m4.jpg

Thanks!

Yep I know they are too dark.. I tried editing them but it made the quality bad as you can see. It was at like 3pm that I took the first two.. sort of a bad time I think, at least for the angle I took them at.

I was a tad nervous, yes- I had no idea how they'd turn out! Also this was a different camera than I was used to as well... which probably accounts for a lot of it. Most of the poses were spur of the moment- I followed the couple around the area, haha!

The last one- I wonder if he is staring to hard at the camera? He HATES getting pictures taken of him!! lol that was at my sisters wedding, and I had the P&S and I just shot away.

Anyway! Thanks for the critique! This site is awesome- it makes me think! haha

Ah! Well that explains things. You have to work in difficult conditions sometimes and with a camera you are not familiar with, that can be challenging in itself. You're doing good! Spontaneity is good! Just be mindful of shadows and harsh light in frame. Keep on shutterin'!

Most reactions

Back