Perfect day - perfect subject

bennyboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I'm a brand newbie to the site and have only been hooked (absolutely addicted) on photography for the last 2 months. I figure the quickest way to learn is to let the pro's tear you apart :D

Took ages to get him to look at me but I got there eventually. What I'm looking for is ideas on how I could have done this better. I had all the time in the world to set up and a few different vantage points.

Orang800_Edited.jpg

I'm using a Powershot S1 (all I can afford ATM) and I didn't change anything in Photoshop except the cropping and size for the forum.

Cheers

I wouldn't change much, you have a terrific capture here. Your composition, framing, angle, everything concerning that is spot on. About the only thing I can think of is manipulating the light so that you can see his/her eyes.

Great shot. I agree with Jadin, the onlny slight detraction is the shade on his eyes - have a play with PS and you may be able to bring them out a bit.

If you can go back, it may be worth trying with some fill in flash to light up his face, don't take my word alone for it though, I've no idea how an Orangutang (SP :confused: ) would react to having a flash go off in its face!

Welcome in, benny, If you are hooked on photography, you will love it in here.

This is a great place to learn.(trust me)

BTW, I really like the photo.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree, it's a great capture but it needs a little light on his face. Don't be afraid to turn your flash on when you are shooting outside in bright light.

As for composition, the subject is dead centre, this is usually not the best placement...but its does look pretty good here because the background is not distracting. However, I think a tighter crop would help.

Thanks very much for all your comments. I'll be having a go at the lighting in photoshop tonight and let you know how I go.

Cheers

Great photo! I love the way he/she is hiding under the burlap and that little shock of green leaves against that brilliant blue sky is really nice too.

Thankyou all for your ideas. It would appear I am much better at taking shots of wildlife than at scenery :D but then I'm still new to photography and just enjoying the learning experience. I'm off to a botanical garden for some more (much needed) practice so I'm quite sure you'll be hearing from me again shortly :D

Once again thanks for looking and really appreciate the advice.

This forum ROCKS!

Most reactions

Back