Perfect Sacks?

AlexColeman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the search for the perfect bag, I pose this question to you. What would be the best bag to transport a Nikon D3s, wideangle lens, and possibly a 50mm or mid zoom, in a comfortable way? I am going to be doing alot of walking, and wont need to carry much more then this. What would be the best bag to carry this in, and yet still have it accessible?

Whatever you get, make sure you have some room to grow.
I had the perfect sack, then I bought another lens. The lens was to big to fit with the other lenses, so now I need a bigger sack.

Whatever you get, make sure you have some room to grow.
I had the perfect sack, then I bought another lens. The lens was to big to fit with the other lenses, so now I need a bigger sack.

Same I now have too much in my sack and it has become a tight fit. Oh well time to get a larger sack, hopefully that sack doesn't become filled..

Kata makes some very nice bags, can be used as sling type or backpack... Very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Kata makes some very nice bags, can be used as sling type or backpack... Very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

A backpack would probably be best for extended wear. I have a Crumpler 7MDH that can really wear my shoulder out when I have it packed to the brim.

I have the 3n1 20. You can adjust the shoulder straps to go across your chest, standard backpack configuration, or single sling straps.

I can fit all of the following stuff in it. It's a little tight with the 5D MKII having a grip, but it still works. All lenses are Canon.

5D MKII
70-200 f/2.8L IS
17-40 f/4L
24-70 f/2.8L
15mm f/2.8 Fish Eye
2 Pocket Wizard PII's
580EX II flash
Sekonic L-358 light meter
Medium rocket blower.
Additional cards, cables, etc...

It's not water proof, but it comes with a rain conver for if you do get out in the wet. I can also fit one more smaller lens about the size of a 50 in there with that config.

bumpity
I cant seem to fit the D3 into the kata, any other possibilities

I have a Tamrac System 6, which I can fit my D700, 50mm f/1.4, 24-120VR, 80-200 f/2.8, and 3 speedlights in. In the side compartments, i have my cleaning stuff, snoots/cards/gels for lights, extra batteries, cards, cable releases, and filters.

granted, i had to do *some* cutting of the dividers, but..

I LOVE IT.

My sack is not too small, my balls are just too.......... well.

Best advice from me... grab up your gear and head to your local camera store. See what fits, see what you like carrying, etc. You might not find something you love, but you will find things you do not like for sure. I did this and it helped me settle on a KATA, yes they are smaller, but it works perfectly for me.

It is always funny to me, the guys with the $5K camera bodies asking fairly simple and common questions about gear.

p!nK

A single camera body and two small lenses for lots of walking? Have you considered a photographers vest or a general shooters vest/jacket? Many of those have deep pockets and sufficient space to fit a lens and camera (not attached though).

Lowepro also has a belt and harness range that you could look into. It's a little much really for a bag I feel. If you are going down the bag rout though for a long distance get a backpack not a shoulder bag as last thing you want is to have to keep shifting it from shoulder to shoulder as you walk. Keep the weight (even if its light) even over your back.

It is always funny to me, the guys with the $5K camera bodies asking fairly simple and common questions about gear.

It is always funny to me, that the perception that professionals have an omniscient knowledge of every camera bag,(not gear), in existence, and that we have no need to interact with others, who may have reasonable suggestions.

Most reactions

Back